Lymph node behind right ear

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, 

A friend of mine has had a lymph node behind his right ear for about a year now. He describes it as painless, unmoving and rock hard. After a bit of concern he went to the doctors to have it looked at. They discovered to other lymph nodes around the groin area and was sent off for blood tests ad an ultrasound and is due to get the results back soon. However he has had no other symptoms apart from the obvious ump behind his ear which is a plus. After frantically searching googles for answers I became worried it could be something bad due to the fact he described it as rock hard... I then saw a discussion on here about someone that had a similar thing which turned out to be nothing serious at all. I am now still confused as to whether or not this is a cause for concern. 

If anyone else has had a similar experience and are willing to share it or may have any advice, that would be much appreciated!!

Thank you.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I've had multiple swollen lymph nodes in my head and neck area (one node swollen behind my left ear) for about 5+ months now. I have seen my reg Dr, dermo, ENT and just recently an oncologist haha (I have health anxiety with this so I have been getting as many opinions as possible). I'll tell you what I have learned so far from all of these doctors I saw lol... 1. If it was something worrisome like lymphoma, it would be bigger than 2 cm, more like golf ball sized, not a small/normal sized node. 2. Some lymph nodes can be soft and tender but others can be harder and painless, it depends on the location of the node it seems. The swollen node in my neck is soft and tender, but behind my ear is hard and painless... but I had an MRI of the behind the ear one and it's benign. 3. Another red flag would be if you have any other symptoms, such as persistent fever, persistent night sweats, or rapid weight loss all of a sudden. They reassured me that if I have no other symptoms and all of my swollen lymph nodes are below 2 cm in size, I shouldn't be worried. It's very frustrating just doing the wait and see game, the best idea my doctors can all come up with is that it's the acne on my face or the dermatitis on my scalp that is making my lymph nodes swell. I even asked, but they never swelled before and ive had acne/dermatitis for years so why are they now?? and they just said your body changes all the time and you can become more sensitive to things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.