Lymph node in groin, much anxiety...

Posted , 3 users are following.

So a couple of months ago I noticed a painless, moveable lymph node on the left side of my lower abdomen/upper groin area measuring roughly 1.5cm-2cm  and it obviously freaked me out a bit. Went to the doctor about 2 weeks after since it hadn’t gone down, she said it could be an infection and prescribed antibiotics in the hopes that they’ll fix the issue. Unfortunately I discovered I was allergic to the antibiotics (amoxicillin) and was taken off them, given a course of prednisone for a week or so and then today for my follow up was prescribed new antibiotics. The node itself has certainly shrunk in the past couple of weeks (about 1cm in length now and flatter than before) but the fact that it’s still there is rather alarming. She asked the usual questions (fever, night sweats, fatigue, trouble breathing, etc) to all of which I answered no. Not seeking medical advice but I’d like to know if anyone has had a similar situation and what the outcome was. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It is quite normal ,as after infections lymph nodes rarely return to their original size.They are still "alarmed" and will probably stay like that for a long time(months to years).

• Posted

Ughhh lymph nodes -_- I feel your pain.

I've had swollen lymph nodes in my head/neck area for almost a year now and still don't know the definite cause. I've seen my GP, dermo, ENT, and an oncologist (I wanted a variety of opinions lol). I also had ultrasound and MRI done. Came back normal as they are all around 1-1.5cm size and "don't appear benign". All those Drs ^^ best guess is that the swollen nodes are related to extra bad acne I've had this past year or so. It seems so unlikely that they could be swollen from something like facial acne lol. But I do notice that when I have a breakout the nodes tend to flare up more, and they shrink in size when my face is clearer. So idk -_-

Morale of my story: Evidently nodes can swell for many minor reasons, it's not always cancer or some sort of illness. Also, all those Drs ^ told me same red flags (fever, night sweats, fatigue, etc) but also mentioned that the main red flag is size. As long as the node is normal sized (<2cm or marble size) then it isn't cause for concern. If it gets to be golf ball sized that would be more worrisome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.