Lymph nodes need opinions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I’m not that worried but I still have to be sure. Around a month and a half ago I had gotten a sore throat that lasted over a week. I got antibiotics which I used for a week. Went back to the doctor who felt my nodes and said that if they didn’t go down within a month to come back. A few days before I was going to go back they eventually started to go back down but we’re still there. I decided not to go due to the decrease in size. Fast forward a week and I get a bad cold(Sore head throat and blocked nose). Checked my lymph nodes and seen that they were as swollen as they were last time. I know I don’t need anti biotics  because it’s just a cold and last time it was an infection. So should I go to the doctors now or just wait another month to see if they go down? Thanks for the help, Chris

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's normal for them to be swollen again.  That is their job, as they are ridding your body of the virus/bacteria that has resulted in your cold.   They should go down within a few weeks after your cold is over, but even then, they might not ever go back down to their original size.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I understand what your saying but mine have always been painless. That is definetly my biggest concern at the moment 
    • Posted

It is perfectly normal for lymph nodes to swell.   Sometimes they may not ever go back down to their original size.. this is normal and they will be painless.  Also.. some people just naturally have larger lymph nodes and can feel them.  I can feel mine all throughout my body, in my neck, under jaw, behind neck, behind and in front of ears, armpits, groin, and even behind my head.  It's normal to feel them and for them to be painless.   If cancer is a concern for you, just remember this..  I read this study they conducted about what size an enlarged lymph node has a higher chance of being cancer, and out of over 1000 people, only 0.06% that had lymph nodes between 1 to 2 cm has cancer.  The chance was a lot higher with lymph nodes greater than 3cm.  So if your lymph nodes are just the size of a pea, do not worry about them.  It's when they hard rock hard, unmovable, and keep steadily growing, that are cause for concern. 

• Posted

Sounds like they are just acting up due to your recent illness's. Even a common cold can cause them to swell (from what my doctor told me). I currently have some swollen lymph nodes on my head/neck which my doctor and ENT are guessing it is actually acne related. Lymph nodes can swell due to many reasons, and if you have been sick lately I would think that is directly related and wouldn't worry too much. If they all of sudden grow in size, like golf ball size, or if you experience any extreme fatigue, night sweats, or weight loss, then you should go back and see your doctor. - That's at least what I have gathered thus far on this topic lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.