Lymphangiectasias - important or not?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently had a camera endoscopy as recommended by my gastroenterologist.  He was a bit slow to call me about the results, so I called my primary doc.  His secretary read me the radiologists report: "lymphangiectasias throughout small bowel, otherwise normal."

The next day my gastroenterologist finally did call me about the procedure, and left a message saying that the test came out fine, and everything is ok.

So, here is the question: Are lymphangiectasias harmless? Or should I assume that my gastroenterologist mis-read something?

( BTW, please don't assume that I have IBS just because I am posting in this forum.  I don't have a formal diagnosis yet.  )

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Signs and symptoms

Chronic diarrhea is almost always seen with lymphangiectasia, but most other signs are linked to low blood protein levels (hypoproteinemia), which causes low oncotic pressure. These signs include ascites, pleural effusion, and edema of the limbs and trunk. Weight loss is seen with long-term disease.[6]

Diagnosis

Diagnosis is through biopsy. The presence of hypoproteinemia, decreased blood lymphocytes, and decreased cholesterolsupport the diagnosis. Hypocalcaemia (low calcium) is also seen due to poor absorption of vitamin D and calcium, and secondary to low protein binding of calcium. Medical ultrasonography may show striations in the intestinal mucosa indicating dilated lacteals.

Above is an extract from Wikipedia for "lymphangiectasias". Personally, I haven't a clue, but think you should talk with your gastroenterologist as soon as possible for a proper diagnosis.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

Thanks, outhwaite, but this really doesn't address my question.

My gastro already has given his opinion.  He left a message that said that everything was ok. He has essentially said that lymphangiectasias don't matter.

The whole point of this thread is to find out if he is wrong.

• Posted

Surely he would explain it in detail. If not, then I'd ask for a second opinion.
  • Posted

I talked to my gastro today, and asked explicitly about lymphangiectasias.  He said they don't matter: they won't affect my health now or in the future.

Is he right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.