Lymphedema advise

Posted , 4 users are following.

I saw a consultant in manchester around 4 months ago who diagnosed me with Lymphedema. Although I am overweight he did not link me lymph to this he gave me a letter to give to my GPs for creams and to order compression stockings I got my creams and was waiting 4mths for stocking I never got after complaining I got told I need special measuring and that would get sorted well a few days ago my GP rang me telling me she had spoken to some lymph clinic in Liverpool and they said I couldn't have the stockings till I lost weight but the original consultant prescribed them my legs are dreadful they also leak really bad , I just don't know what to do now ? My mother had this same condition and I've read it can be hereditary. Can anyone offer me any advice ?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had Lymphedema a very long time, the older I get the worse it gets. Im a photographer and find that now (getting older) I can't stand as long, it also effects my back from the standing. Its very frustrating as I love my work and I most certainly am going to have to cut back. The compression stocking hurt like hell when i where them, i can't tolerate them. I worked a wedding yesterday and there where so many stairs in the old hall and the grounds where huge that I had to sit down during the shoot my legs where throbbing. Luckily they where a great bride and groom. I rest up when im at home, editing photo's but also can't sit in the same place for to long as I am prone to blood clots. Im severly over weight, unable to exersice and diet correctly because im not ment to have to much vitamin k, which is green things, tomatoes, basically diet food...I think im what you might call up the creek without a paddle
    • Posted

You can get great compression from a lag garment called a Farrow wraps. Ever heard of them? Google them or look in youtube for a video about them. I'll answer all I can about them but they have given me mobility back. Your lymphodema is probably too much for stockings but can still be managed with compression. Stronger compression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.