Lymphoma or Swollen Lymph Nodes

Posted , 2 users are following.

About two months ago, I developed a pea-sized (maybe smaller) lump on my neck, on the front left side, a little above the Adam's apple.  This occurred as I was getting over a cold, and it was sore for a few days.  By the time I got in to see my doctor, the soreness was gone, but the lump was still there.  Due to the soreness, the recent illness, and the lack of any other apparent lumps, he said to wait three weeks and see if it goes away on its own.

He followed up with a call three weeks later, but I never got into the office because things have been hectic at work.  I started coming down with another cold two days ago, and last night I noticed two more very similar lumps under my jaw.  Neither of those has been tender at all.  I am out of the country and can't get in to see my doctor until next week, but I will be going in for the first available appointment.  In the meantime, I am trying to get an idea of how consistent/inconsistent this is with simply having swollen lymph nodes due to the colds.  My grandfather and his sister both had lymphoma, but I know he chewed a lot of tobacco and got his lymphoma in conjunction with mouth cancer--and at an older age (I'm 37, he was in his 60s).  Any input would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Muggiwhplar,

I can understand why you are concerned, because lymphoma runs in your family. You are doing the right thing by seeing a doctor and having it checked out. It better to be safe than sorry. To be honest, I think the lymph nodes are swollen because of your cold. Just give them a little time to go away. Don't worry to much and I am sorry about your cold.sad Best wishes to you Muggiwhplar!!

• Posted

I was just looking at my original post and realized that I didn't make it explicitly clear that the original lump is still there two months later, unchanged. It seems to move a half inch or so when I move my finger over it, and my understanding is that cancerous lumps are usually secured in place.

• Posted

I have Leukemia, so I get those all the time, but  they usually go away in a few weeks are months. I would like to add that since you have a family history of cancer; ask your doctor to screen you for cancer. It’s amazing what’s available for cancer treatment these days. Best wishes!
    • Posted

Thanks for the input. I assume in your case, the lymph nodes swell up because of an overabundance of white blood cells? I am seeing my doctor Tuesday and do plan to request a biopsy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.