Lyrica and Quetiapine together

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on Neurocontine 300g reduced it to 100g and Quetiapine 50g and felt really sick, very hot, pins and needles, tired so went to the go and was prescribed Lyrica75g twice daily a few days ago.  Been feeling sick at times, faint, hot feeling during the day sometimes and at night.  Will definitely see the gp again hopefully tomorrow as I suffer from panic attacks too so I’m in the dark and very fearful as what to do.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

HI maria

​Adding Lyrica to the mix of meds you are taking makes it difficult to suss out which drug may be responsible for your side effects. Certainly Lyrica can cause the ones you mention since you were put on it but you also say about nausea on the other two. Lyrica is not a drug to be taken lightly, it causes dependence and has many side effects, plus awful withdrawals if you attempt to stop taking it. If you have only been on it for a few days in my opinion you would do yourself a big favour by stopping it now. After only one week this drug changes Brain Chemistry and Central Nervous System and becomes very difficult to come off. Also if you suffer with panic attacks and anxiety Lyrica is not going to help you in the long term. Many feel it doubles their anxiety after 6 weeks or so. If you want to know more about this drug please look for a closed group on Fb called Lyrica Survivors (Official) and request to join. This group is a very supportive and caring one helping its members come off this drug slowly and carefully and you can read the stories of others who have taken it short term and long term. Some members are also on the other two drugs (and more) that you mention. 

​It is your decision at the end of the day but more information gives you power over choices available to you. I hope and trust you can find the right way forward for yourself.

• Posted

Many thanks, I am too scared to come off it without the doctors advise, but will definitely secure a doctors appointment tomorrow. Appreciate your help and will look into the FB forum.  
    • Posted

Maria, do not be surprised if your GP says that there are few side effects on this drug and it is easy to come off. You may even be told to continue with it and up the dose. On group we have a method of slowly titrating off Lyrica using water titration which minimalises withdrawals. I'm afraid few GP's have yet cottoned on to the destructive side of this drug. The sooner you look at the Fb group the more I am sure you will understand. I wish you all the best tomorrow but please post again if I can be of any help to you. 

• Posted

Great , I will certainly get back to this forum as it’s so helpful, really appreciate it. Have made a request on fb lyrical forum , so just a waiting game now. Thanks again Elizabeth.
    • Posted

I was able to get an appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning. Opted not to take my morning Lyrica 75mg and see how I feel today but will take the one tonight. Hope I’m not taking a huge risk, cross fingers 🤞 thanks for the support.

• Posted

You may feel some withdrawals Maria. Lyrica only has a half life, hence it is out of your system within 18 hours. So about 6-8 hours after when your normal morning dose should have been you may experience some side effects before you take your evening dose. Hopefully you don't. Also hope you have been accepted  as a new member of the Group by now which I am sure you will find helpful. Just read the Files first as a lot of your questions will be answered there. Have a good day 

• Posted

I’ve been to the doctors, was taken off lyrica and sertraline instead, the pharmacist said I can take this at night and see how I feel. What are your thoughts ? Thanks 
    • Posted

I'm pleased to know you have been taken off Lyrica Maria before it gets into your system and wrecks it! Sertraline is a reasonably well known and trusted Anti-depressant/ Anxiety medication and I hear good reports of it. It does not suit everyone but seems to be one of the best available. My niece is on this and finds it most helpful. Taken at night it may help you sleep, at least I hope so. If not try a couple of natural remedies that help me and may also be of help to you. Passionflower is one and 5HTP another and I am sure you can get these in Aus at a reasonable price. I use Amazon here in England to get mine and I am so pleased that they help me to relax and release tension which enables me to get off to sleep at night. 

I do hope that you find the natural remedies helpful for anxiety and panic attacks - better to take these than these hard hitting man made chemical drugs that our Doctors put us on. Please let me know how you get on. Healing hugs and thoughts x

• Posted

Many thanks Elizabeth, been most helpful.  Will have a go at taking Sertraline tonight and will look into Passion flower in Amazon.  
    • Posted

Btw, I have been using Bach’s rescue remedy drops and night melts to calm down during my panic attacks and to help me sleep.  I have looked at the Passion flower at Amazon, is that the liquid ones, as I have not tried it before? Thanks again.
    • Posted

I use the Passion Flower capsules, not the liquid Maria, and I know it is helping me relax and get off to sleep at night. Try looking at health 4 all - that is the one I am trying.
  • Posted

Was prescribed Sertaline 50mg in exchange for Lyrica 75mg one at night and day. as I was feeling tired, dizzy and nauseated when I take it during the day. After reading very bad side effects, I just continued with my Lyrica only at night and it’s fine but feeling hot when I’m stressed still happens and I wonder if I should go back to my doctor, maybe a higher dose at night will work better. Too scared to start on the Sertraline. Would appreciate any help. Thanks. 
    • Posted

Whatever you do Maria, think twice about upping the Lyrica dosage - your Doctor really shouldn't have told you to 'swap' Lyrica for Sertraline as you cannot just go cold turkey on Lyrica even if you replace it with something else. Lyrica should be taken every 12 hours as it only has a 'half life' of 6.5 hours...so if you take one at night only it is out of your system within 18 hours which can caused hot flushes and other withdrawal effects until you take it again at night. You do really need to taper down off Lyrica slowly and then you can talk to your GP about whether or not you need to be taking anything at all. Sertraline is an anti-depressant, Lyrica is not. I do hope you can get this sorted soon. I would certainly be more afraid of Lyrica than Setraline. Regards, Liz

• Posted

My doctor actually offered whether to carry on with Gabapentine which I was taking only one at night 100mg which I lowered the dosage, suppose to be taking 2 more during the day. I will try and get a doctors appointment as soon as possible next week and hope to get my meds sorted.  It’s really frustrating. Thanks for your advise. Btw are you on any meds at all of you don’t mind me asking ?
    • Posted

Yes I am. I am now on 50mg x 2 daily of Pregabalin and trying to taper down and off slowly. I have personally had frightening side effects on it and withdrawals as I have come down from 100mg x 2 a day. I still suffer balance problems, brain fog, insomnia to name but three. Gabapenten is the little sister of Pregabalin/Lyrica - it does not have any way near the strength of Lyrica, yet people still have bad side effects with it and trouble getting off it. I just hate the thought of anyone going through what I have which is why I guess I try to educate others. Don't get me wrong, some patients do not suffer side effects, everyone is so different and it is a very individual thing.  

• Posted

I see, thanks for sharing. I was doing very well with gabapentine foralmost a year now if I’m not mistaken. It was prescribed to me, never thought anything of it as it helped with my anxiety and sleeping at night. I really don’t want to take any kind of anti depressants during the day as I ve tried quite a few and I only lasted one day. So how much longer, before you totally come off Lyrica? You’re lucky that’s all you’re taking. I wish I didn’t have to take anything at all. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.