Lyrica for arthritis pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would like to know if any one has tried lyrica for pain and if they have had any bad reactions to it? I've read a few things that haven't been good

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I tried this med and it gave me terrible violent nightmares. I stopped after 3 pills. Can not tell if it helped me not on it long enough. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks peony, that was the sort of thing I read about and worse
  • Posted

I am interested also.  Pain Clinic I went to recently suggested Lyrica but I am nit anxious to take it and think I would have to stop taking Gabapentin.
  • Posted

My OH was on this for quite a while, but I persuaded him to come off it.  He was very off balance and not really with it at all (if that makes sense).  

It took a while to get off it completely, as you have to cut down very gradually and over a period of time.

I was not happy him being given such a strong drug that was originally for a completely different use.

• Posted

A rheumatologist suggested it to me and i said not before I researched it.That being because of the damage statins have done to me. After I researched it there is no way I would take it. what was it's origionally used for?

• Posted

It is the standard treatment for diabetic preferial neurophy. It's one of the treatments for nerve damage. I did try it for my PN put it caused some mental health issues that I didn't have before. there are meds for nerve pain and there are meds for arthritis pain and they are not the same.

• Posted

Thanks joh, I also read that it could cause mental health issues.
    • Posted

When I am dealing with any old or new med.......dought all before believing anything. Check and recheck meds that are prescribed for you. two times I was prescribed meds that almost killed me, so be careful out there.

• Posted

That is really scary joh, was that the dr or chemist that was at fault
  • Posted

I'm on lyrica and it seems to work well with me at times. It certainly was hard to get use to. I take 75 mg at night cuz the druggy feeling during the day was too much. The biggest side effects for me is my feet seem to swell. I watch my salt intake and diet. I also have fibromyalgia and pmr.

• Posted

My physio thinks I have irritated a nerve in my neck. She is writing to my GP to get a referal for a CT scan and perhaps a cortisone injection. The rheumatologist told me you had to take is for a month to take effect (that was for arthritis in my foot) but the physio has said she's had patients that have taken one or two and got relief. What to do ? sad

• Posted

Hi Jane , it's helped me with my feet and leg pain. I guess it works different with every one. I do know I'm on a very low dosage. It took me about two- three weeks to get use to some of the side effects. And longer for others . 

• Posted

Hi Denise, could you tell me what side effects you've experienced. It's the side effects that has me concerned. Thanks

• Posted

Jane I try not to read the side effects because I start freaking out. But what I experience is the high and spacey feeling at the beginning. I was pretty out of it for a couple of days and didn't do much. Then I just figured out what works for me. I hope this helps

• Posted

thanks Denise, I didn't use to read the side effects but after the damage statins have done to me I now read all the side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.