Lyrica for Sciatia Related Pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

In 2006 I had surgery for a pinched nerve in the L5-S1 area which was a success. About 2 years ago the symptoms I had when I had the surgery slowy started to come back over time. Earlier this year I had an MRI and went to see an Orthopedic Surgeon (same one that did the original surgery). He said that there are 2 meds for me to try, Diclofenac-Misoprostol & Lyrica. First stated with 50mg of Diclofenac twice daily for a few months, it helped somewhat so after seeing my GP it upped it to 75mg twice daily, not a big difference from the 50mg. The next step for me to take is Lyrica, after seeing the adverse effects on a local TV commerical I am wary of switching to this. Working up high on ladders is part of my job so getting dizzy and not being able to focus is not a good thinkg to have at those heights. The Dicolfenac gives me bloating & very soft stools nothing too serious. Does anyone know or have experience in taking Lyrica for Sciatia related pain. My pain is in the right buttock and goes down my right side; hamstring; calf and into the ride side of my foot which is somewhat numb and tingles. I ordered a TENS machine and will give this a try regardless as this can be usefull for my Plantar issue in both feet. Any info; experience or help with Lyrica would be greatly apprecited.

Brad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you work high up on ladders in your job, which is your source of income, please do not start taking Lyrica. Side effects include brain fog, memory issues, balance issues and many many more. Lyrica is a man made chemical cosh, it changes brain chemistry and central nervous system within one week of starting on it. Patients report dependence on this quickly and certainly I know that trying to stop taking it causes dreadful withdrawals. I was put on it for exactly the sae reason as you! Doctors do not wish to believe that this new 'wonder' drug causes so any issues and will tell you that you can stop and start it at will with no problems, no withdrawals. This powerful drug was originally given the go ahead for Seizures but over time it appeared to help with chronic nerve pain as well. And, yes, it does in the main take the pain away. But you would be putting your life at risk working high up on ladders and a fall could mean you not being able to work for a long time. The brain fog is just awful; I forget appointments, forget to take medication, forget conversations I had only yesterday and stop mid sentence because I have no memory of why I started in the first place. The balance issues caused me to have a very bad fall backwards and since then I walk with a cane to steady myself. I am at present tapering very slowly off Lyrica and have withdrawals that are manageable because I am only coming down 1-2mgs at a time and waiting a week before another small drop. If you don't start you won't have to go through what I and thousands of others have gone through and are still going through. This drug does work for some people and side effects are minimal, but it is rare. Stick with the TENS machine and I hope it helps you. If you want to research Lyrica further there is a Group on Fb called Lyrica Survivors (Official) with over 5,000 members who have problems relating to it and if you request to join it may help you to make up your mind about it. 

Whatever you decide I wish you well.

• Posted

Thankyou for your post elizabeth, really appreciate it. I will not go ahead and take Lyrica but will stay on the Dicoflenac as it does help somewhat with not too many side effects. The TENS may help so fingers crossed. Have a good week and I hope all goes good with your weaning off Lyrica.
    • Posted

Thank you. I will eventually get off Lyrica and hope to get my memory, balance and life back. Best wishes to you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.