Lyrica-How do you feel when you wake up first thing in the morning? Sluggish? Still drowsy? Other?

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I was prescribed Tegretol, and after it settled down in my system, I was fine during the day but more drowsy towards evening. Since I've been on Lyrica I've been more drowsy, longer, and feel like a damn Zombie of a morning.

I feel heady, still very drowsy, to the extent of wanting to crash back down on my pillow and sleep some more, and like my whole body is a ton of weight.

Ive missed my 125mg of evening dose today and I don't care. But it will be interesting to see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow morning.

I just wondered how any of you feel since you've been prescribed Lyrica. Do you feel the same or different of a morning, day or evening?

Thanks.

Gloriana

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

i take 150mg of Lyrica night and morning on top of my Tegretol. I am guessing the night dose is what's giving me a good sleep all night but the morning one just knocks me out. I take it at 6am and by 9 i am exhausted and often fall back on the bed and sleep til 11.30.
    • Posted

Do you automatically get up at the same time every morning? And do you take your tablets at the same time everyday?
  • Posted

I wake up at 6am every morning because the alarm goes for hubby to go to work but i have often been half awake by then already as the ache in my lower jaw starts as soon as the drugs wear off. I take my stuff same time every day which is:

Tegretol 300mg and Lyrica 150mg every night at 10pm, then Tegretol 300mg and Lyrica 150mg every morning at 6am (plus Warfarin), then Tegretol 300mg at 2pm. Tried taking it morning and night in two doses but got pain before the 12hrs was up. Lyrica just knocks me out but i got used to the Tegretol after a while.

• Posted

Wow, that is a lot of medication no wonder youre so tired. Have you tried taking your medication after food? Maybe that will help.

I don't take mine until I've eaten, I think that's what gets me through the day without constantly falling asleep, but I do yawn a lot though. I dare say if I sat down and read or stayed on my iPad I could easily nod off.

But it is also lannoying because many a night I'm off to bed about 8.30/9pm.

When I woke up his morning I didn't feel half like a Zombie or heavy headed etc, and that's just with missing one dose. I might try again by reducing .25mg a dose per week to see if the pain cuts through or not. Unfortunately my history of 9 months on and 9 months remission hasn't worked with Lyrica as it did with Tegretol. It's been 11 months now.

• Posted

i will try having' breakfast before i take the Lyrica but its hard sometimes to open my mouth enough to get more than a pill in with some water. I am just so sick of this.

I agree its necessary to experiment a bit sometimes to get what works for you. I call myself my own private Guinea Pig. You are wise to only move down weekly. i heard doing it too fast can bring on extra pain.

• Posted

Thanks Gloriana for your suggestion of eating before taking the Lyrica. Tried it this morning having taken my Tegretol at 6am, i waited until i was able to open my mouth a bit more (warm tea always helps) then had some mushy breakfast, waited another 20mins, then took the Lyrica. Not so sleepy this morning so far. I wont leave the house just in case but its certainly better than taking them all together.
    • Posted

Oh that's great Valkyrie. I noticed your post was 8hrs ago how are you feeling now? I know it'll probably take time with each dose before you really notice the full 100% effect.

Ive reduced my dosage by 25mg and I noticed this morning I still felt whacked out, but I guess I have to wait for the dosage to take effect first.

Let us know how you're getting on

• Posted

Ho Gloriana. How are you doing with Lyrica? Is the reduction 25mg or .25mg  I can't quite understand.If it's 25 mg you are on the same path as I am.  I had flu like symptoms for 3wks, headaches and pain at base of nose .I wish I had been more patient and waited till I had the liquid to reduce in a better way.I am doing ok now electricity has gone,with half oxycodone and Panadol osteoporosis.I see I didn't mention my mouth pain has almost gone. Sorry you didn't get your remission.I have to be knocked over  to get remission  or wait 1.5years as TN went when I broke my hip. best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie,

Lyrica seems to be ok at the moment, yes the reduction is 25mg. But I will be glad to get shut of these so my brain can get back to normal. Plus lyrics causes weight gain and I'm now 11st. That's just not me,  normally I'm about 9 and half stone. My cholesterol is up and so is my blood pressure. I have to go and see my GP now.

Oh no, did you take anything for your flu and headaches etc.?

thats good your electrical and mouth pain has gone.

Do you think it's the cod liver oil that's done that? Or is it time now for your TN to disappear?

All the best

• Posted

Hi Gloriana.That feeling of not wanting to get up is DEPRESSION. I have been on Lyrica for 5 mths and can't get off it quick enough.,but I am weaning off with oral Lyrica made by compounding chemist. Only 4.5mlto start .What A breeze. Lyrica cause dizziness,depression,InNCREASE in weight and so on.Check out Lyrica Survivors.Also Your dose is too much. I am on 75 and 50 mg daily.Had no trouble dropping first 25mg but too scared to do more.best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for for the advice. I read the Lyrica label as soon as my Dr prescribed them. I was definitely aware of the weight gain and remember thinking oh great lol. Fortunately I'm not depressed, I know the drowsiness and being drugged up definitely knocks me out and I've now reduced my dosage to 100mg twice a day. 

Im also going to try cod liver oil capsules that another member on here suggested. Her TN has now disappeared. Anything is worth a try. You should try it too Maggie.

All the best

Good luck with your reduction in dosage. 

• Posted

Hi Gloriana. Thank you for replying to me.I am always interested in your posts.Re your top post ,I always felt high between 5pm and 7pm but in am zonked out. Yes, I just bought cod liver oil and also Brain Active. I need to get 3-6-9 omega 3s.Will be rattling along! Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, good to hear from you.

I hate the morning as soon as I wake up I'm sluggish etc. During the day I'm fine and evening it starts to kick in and I'm nodding off lol. At the moment I'm on 100mg twice a day, so far no pain breaking through. I haven't started on cod liver oil yet, but I will do. I already take omega 3 which contains cod liver oil. It's the Eye Q that I'm taking. Hoping for a boost in brain cells too, so I'll rattle along with you lol.

So what is your dosage per day now? Have you noticed any difference yet since taking cod liver oil?

Chat soon 

• Posted

hi Gloriana .We are doing well on our doses as 300mg is usual to control pain. Wouldn't it be great if we went into remission? However every morn I wake with terrible pain on the side of my nose.If I wake thru the night I will take 2.5mg oxycodone for that. That first cuppa banishes any pain left.My son(38yrs) panicked when I had attacks.I should have added new supplements each week not all together as I won't know which oane helped me.LOL I am on 4.5 ml in morn.equals 67.5 mg. Fri drop again.   Have a look at forum discussion debbie666 and grey. Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie,

Yes it would be great if we both went into remission, touch wood I've felt no pain trying to break through. I don't feel any pain at different times of the day like you do though. Couldn't you take an extra strength say at night? That may do the trick for the morning pain you get.

I will check out the forum for Debbie 666.

All the best, chat soon.

• Posted

Hello Maggie,

just noticed your note to Gloriana. I was interested to read tht you wake every morning with pain on the side of your nose as i wake each morning with severe pain in my lower jaw. But, like you, my cup of tea seems to relax it or something and it slowly goes away. How very odd.

• Posted

To Maggie and Valkyrie

Ive just checked online and there is an article in the Daily Mail online about Tea relieving pain. Apparently it's the Caffiene in the tea that eases the pain quicker than the traditional pain killers. I have decaf tea so probably wouldn't work for me if I was in pain first thing in the morning.

So far I've no pain breaking through and I'm on 75mg twice a day now reduced from 150mg twice a day. So far no pain. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come through after a week.

Chat soon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.