Lyrica/ pregabalin withdrawals

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I m asking if Merry the nurse practitioner could answer this for me.

I have been taking 50 ml pregabalin once a day at bedtime.  I have weaned off the three times a day down to one at bedtime, I started taking one every other day for the past week and wondering how long before I decrease again ? Would once every two days help or should I just stop ? I have been taking the med for ten months but have been on one a day for about three months now and would like to get off them ... I have noticed my eyesight when reading has become a bit blurry and I heard that is one of the side effects of the drug.  Thank you for any help that you can give me. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sheila,

As you know, withdrawal from Lyrica can be difficult. It would be ideal if you had 25 mg capsules. Then, I would advise you to taper to 25mg every other night for two weeks, and IF you do not have withdrawal symptoms, go to 25 mg every three nights for two weeks. Withdrawal is based upon how you feel! There is no need to rush through the taper if you feel sick. You were on Lyrica for 1-1/2 years, so it will take some time, and usually, the end of the withdrawal is the most difficult. It can be achieved, however!

My question is, have you asked the prescribing physician for advice regarding tapering and withdrawal symptoms? S-he would be the person to ask, obviously.

Please let me know what you think!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  I will go and see my doctor this week because I too was thinking about the 25 mg. The doctor who prescribed pregabalin for me ten months ago gave me three renewals as moving to a new province.  I did get a new doctor when I moved here and told her what I was taking and that I was weaning off them but she didn’t give any advise other than saying that’s good.  I took your advise a few months ago by cutting out the afternoon and then morning but stayed on the night pill for about three months now. I have been taking them every other night for a week now with no serious problem so far. I’m afraid when I totally withdraw then it might be a problem ... I will keep you posted on my recovery.  I still have PHN but I feel that I can live with it as it is hit and miss with discomfort.. I had my first shingrex vaccine in May and will

get my booster shot in August.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.