Lyrica withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been decreasing lyrica by 25mg at a time over a very long time. Right now I'm on 50mg AM and PM. I'm very sensitive to medicine changes. I'm about 8 days into a 25mg decrease and my achey legs are brutal. Very severe. Its has been so hard to just give up and take the dose, but I'm always concerned about the sleepyness and weight gain and cognitive problems I get from lyrica. I dropped 100mg over the past year and those issued improved, but right now I'm useless! And I'm taking extra tramadol to try to ease the achey legs. Sigh.....I don't even know of I should get off this drug and Dr says just do what you want. Plus I have surgery next week so I had to quite magnesium , which helps my pain a lot. The last 8 days have been hell. I dont want it to be for nothing!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lilyflower; I think that the only suggestion that I can give you, is that as Lyrica is also an anti-depressant, you should be replacing it with another.....have you tried Amitriptylline?   Or what is the reason that you are trying to wean yourself off Lyrica?  Does it not help, or are you trying to go Med free?    Bron
  • Posted

Hi Lily, I share the same side effects from Pregabalin, but for me, although I hate the weight gain, in general the benefits outweigh the side effects. xx
  • Posted

I were on that for 8 months,side effects were dreadful as was the weight gain. Dr would not take me off them, so I went aginst him and weaned myself off. Lost loads of weight, and got rid of the horrid side effects. Much better without them. went to see  a different Dr and explained what I had done, and he was in agreement with me and he them prescribed me Oramorph. Its ok, takes the edge off and no nasty side effects either..
  • Posted

I couldn't handle the leg pain so I began taking the 25mg again and I've had major pain relief but I must have been partially weaned because now I feel the side effects of increasing, but those are much more easier to deal with. For now I will stay were I'm at. These drugs are so tricky!
  • Posted

That's strange lily, I was able to come off Lyrica completely from 125mg twice a day within 2 weeks. 
  • Posted

Hi Lilyflower

Have you managed to come off the Pregabalin yet? Just asking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.