Lysine for Coldsores

Posted , 40 users are following.

I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but for around the last 3 years of my life, I had been getting coldsores monthly, sometimes twice a month. I've always had coldsores for as long as I can remember, but I was beginning to get them more and more often, and although it sounds dramatic, it was really affecting me. I would be waiting for one to clear and as soon as it had nearly gone a new one would appear. I ended up in a cycle of worrying about coldsores which I believe may have brought them on, but because they would then happen it would just make me worry more. I became very paranoid and irritable and irrational, I went to the doctor and had blood tests to try and find out why I was getting them so regularly, but they came back with nothing.

Someone then told me about taking L-Lysine to prevent them. I found Lysine which is a herbal supplement and bought some which I was taking - I wasn't being very commited and I didn't get the result quick enough and gave up. But about 6 months to a year later I was desperate, so I tried Lysine again. It took around 3-6 months for me to notice the difference but now that I stuck to it I would never go back. Lysine has literally saved me from a coldsore meltdown that was taking hold of me.

I take 1000mg a day, and then if I'm feeling tired, run down or stressed I will increase this to around 3000mg a day. Likewise if I feel a tingle or see a mark I increase the dosage, and at times hold ice in the area and they 9/10 times don't materialise.

From the twice monthly coldsores I was getting, I have had around 3 in the last year which is such an improvement.

I used to be so anxious about doing things or, having a late night or going away on holiday in the sun JUST in case it brought one on, but now I will literally take extra Lysine away with me just in case and I've not had a problem.

It is something you have to stick at and its not the cheapest thing (I buy mine from Holland and Barrett in the penny sale and generally get around 120 tablets for around £13,) but it has been so worth it and I would never go back.

I have often read these reviews and not believed them, but I really believe if anyone has an issue with regular coldsores and its getting them down, Lysine is definitely the way forward!!!

8 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've recently been using Herstat cold sore treatment, it's been great I highly recommend it.

You cannot buy it in the shops at the moment, only from their website.

I haven't used lysine myself, I've read a bit about it though. I've a friend who swears by using ice cubes and nail polish remover but it's never done much for me, I don't even bother trying anymore with those 'home remedies'.

• Posted

Hi Frankie,   Like you I was getting herpes all the time.  As soon as one out break would go I would get another one.  

I take one large slice of pineapple every day and I hardly get any outbreaks now.

I am so relieved.   If i feel an itch i increase pineapple.  I am so delighted.

It may be worth you trying it.  Cheaper too.

Good luck

• Posted

Frankie, I have been using 99.9% DMSO with a Q-tip to successfully treat fever blisters for many years. Hope it works for you.
  • Posted

I have used lysine for years, it's great. You can get it in a ointment too, which is good after an outbreak, but back to my point I take 2000mg of lysine a day + 800 of vitamin E which helps in the healing of skin and very rarely get them anymore, the pineapple thing sounds great but I am allergic to pineapple. So not an option for me
  • Posted

When you are using the Lysine do you take this every single day or when you feel one coming on? I keep having massive outbreaks across my face which are so painful and they look horrible.  I've been to the doctors and the only thing they will give me are fluoxcillion which do not work. I've tried the ice cube- it worked once for me but on another outbreak it never. I;m getting coldsores every 6 weeks- I've had enough it's getting me down sad 
    • Posted

When I was going through puberty I got coldsores all the time. My pediatrician is who told me about L-lysine. He said only take it when you start feeling them. It sounds like from the article you take it all the time but I never dI'd it that way.

To prevent coldsores get chapstick with SPF (if they are on outside of your lip). This helped me a lot as a teen. Growing up in South FL it is hard to stay out of the sun. Hormone changes also can bring more outbreaks. I just read that after a colds ore change your toothbrush so you don't reinfect yourself.

• Posted

I always forget to take Lysine as preventative. So, when i get that tingle I start taking about 15 thousand mg per day. After two days I lower the dose to about 8 thousand and then just continually lower the dose.

If I were you I would tale 3 thousand mg per day as  preventative. If you do get cold sores, take high doses like me. Lysine works for me. I am fighting cold sores right now,  no blisters, my lips were swollen but that went down quickly. Lysine is wonderful. Since you get it bad, take it everyday so it is in your system. Lysine is an amino acid. it won't hurt you 

• Posted

I know it's late to the party, but did you start your Lysine regiment? I started taking 1500mg three times a day and only had one outbreak in two years. I was getting 2-3 a year.

• Posted

Use Lysine 1 gram per waking hour to cause a dramatic improvement and quick removal of cold sores.  I dare anyone to say it doesn't work.  It's almost miraculous.
    • Posted

I've got to thank you for your comment because the result is amazing. I had kinda stopped my daily intake of lysine supplements and after a nice 6 week holiday, I got a cold sore as I got back to work! grrr

Anyway, I followed your advice, one tablet of lysine 1g every hour and after 2 days it started closing up. It's now day 4 and its almost completely closed up (record breaking as they usually last about a week or more for me). Note that you do need to keep up the 1g/every waking hour for the first 3 days, lysine seems to progressively build up in your blood and deprive the cold sore of what it needs, so don't give up on taking your tablets if you don't see improvement for first 2-3 days. It's just your body building up lysine and then BAM, the blister starts closing up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.