Lysine for Coldsores

Posted , 40 users are following.

I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but for around the last 3 years of my life, I had been getting coldsores monthly, sometimes twice a month. I've always had coldsores for as long as I can remember, but I was beginning to get them more and more often, and although it sounds dramatic, it was really affecting me. I would be waiting for one to clear and as soon as it had nearly gone a new one would appear. I ended up in a cycle of worrying about coldsores which I believe may have brought them on, but because they would then happen it would just make me worry more. I became very paranoid and irritable and irrational, I went to the doctor and had blood tests to try and find out why I was getting them so regularly, but they came back with nothing.

Someone then told me about taking L-Lysine to prevent them. I found Lysine which is a herbal supplement and bought some which I was taking - I wasn't being very commited and I didn't get the result quick enough and gave up. But about 6 months to a year later I was desperate, so I tried Lysine again. It took around 3-6 months for me to notice the difference but now that I stuck to it I would never go back. Lysine has literally saved me from a coldsore meltdown that was taking hold of me.

I take 1000mg a day, and then if I'm feeling tired, run down or stressed I will increase this to around 3000mg a day. Likewise if I feel a tingle or see a mark I increase the dosage, and at times hold ice in the area and they 9/10 times don't materialise.

From the twice monthly coldsores I was getting, I have had around 3 in the last year which is such an improvement.

I used to be so anxious about doing things or, having a late night or going away on holiday in the sun JUST in case it brought one on, but now I will literally take extra Lysine away with me just in case and I've not had a problem.

It is something you have to stick at and its not the cheapest thing (I buy mine from Holland and Barrett in the penny sale and generally get around 120 tablets for around £13,) but it has been so worth it and I would never go back.

I have often read these reviews and not believed them, but I really believe if anyone has an issue with regular coldsores and its getting them down, Lysine is definitely the way forward!!!

8 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was advised to take lysine many years ago. It works for me too. There are new meds out today that work faster and prevent breakouts. Never needed to try any. 

There have been various studies that link cold sore and lysine treatment. These studies have claimed that lysine helps in healing and preventing cold sores.

The recommended daily dose of lysine for prevention is between 1500-3000mg.

If you feel an outbreak coming on, you will want to increase your dosage to 3000 mg. Continue this dosage until scabbing occurs. Even though using lysine for cold sores can make a difference, it does take some time to find out what dosage will work for you.prevent spreading by never allowing fluid from cold sores to spread . Be aware of the side effects of this supplement especially while taking with tx drugs.

• Posted

L-Lysine does indeed help to prevent cold sores. I was a guinea pig for an unofficial study at Durham Universitys Bio-Med Department many years ago where they wanted to see if Lysine could prevent cold sores. I had been plagued with them as you were. Taking this at 1000mg a day using Holland & Barratt supplements was a revelation. A couple of points in that one must not expect immediate results, you have to take it daily for a couple of weeks to build it up in your system. After this, your daily dose will keep it topped up and unless you have circumstances which I will mention, you should have seen the back of them for good. So how does it work? The Herpes Simplex virus basically sits dormant at a nerve junction awaiting a lower immune system event, stress, UV light etc. Once triggered it moves up the nerve and erupts. Enemy here is, as stated, Arginine which coats the virus with a slippery outer coat allowing it to move freely. The uptake of Lysine, over time, replaces this Arginine coating with what is more akin to a thistle, meaning lots of barbs which prevents the virus moving to trigger the cold sore. Therefore, take Lsyine daily if you want no more cold sores. However, if you are undertaking hard physical activity this can deplete the store as the body does use it for muscle repair by converting it to histadine (I think). I found this out on a skiing holiday. The difference between L before Lysine in supplements indicate it is synthetically produced. In all, Lysine vs Cold Sores = Winner.

• Posted

I so appreciate your reply. Good luck to all of us. God Bless
  • Posted

I have cold sores bad every 2 weeks and my lips swell and nose, got depressed cus of it, but I've just started using carmex lip cream last week and this time my sores didn't blister, they just dried up and faded and only lasted short week instead of 2 miserable weeks so i def reccomend trying it, only couple quid on eBay but im so relieved xxx

• Posted

I went to the doctor about my constant coldsore outbreaks for anti virals they are the best thing I've ever used soon as I feel a tingle I take 5 a day 200mg the coldsore won't blister or split within 2 days it starts disappearing I couldn't be without them now I also get coldsore alot less often as I take lysine everyday which I increase to 10,000mg spread throughout the day when I'm having an outbreak honestly if you suffer like I used to alchivor tablets are life savers

• Posted

I tried everything for coldsores which included valtrex to clartin D with little to no success of stopping a break out. The best thing I found was lysine the minute I feel a cold sore coming on cI take it...stops it right there. I will never be with out it. I also noticed that cutting back on foods that are rich in arginines also help. Now I trying lysine as we speak for a cold I developing hope it helps.
  • Posted

I take L-Lysine also for Herpes outbreaks, (got from cheating ex-husband many years ago) not only does it help with less outbreaks, but when I do get one when i'm extremely nervous and stressed out something, the outbreak doesn't last but 3 to 4 days and it's smaller and way less painful. I can see it clearing up faster and faster everyday, smaller. AMAZING DEPRESSION SAVING AMINO ACID, THANK YOUL-LYSINE. Also,  taking it regularly has made horrible yeast infections, and bladder infections and acne go away and it's been almost a year now. My face is clearer than it has ever been and I'm 48 going through this terrible Menopause. My hormones are going crazy and I had to finally get hormone pellets 4 years ago, every 5 to 6 months in my hips to help with mood swings, night sweats, sleep, bone loss, hair loss, so much the pellets have helped like night and day. Sex drive went from a 1 to a 1,000 in about 2 weeks time after having pellets inserted. But the Lysine is a miracle amino acid to me. I also take liquid B-12 every morning. I ordered it online also. It's 9 bucks last a month in a half. Lysine online amazon.com 250 capsules 500mg, easy  to swallow compared to the 1,000 mg pills, that get lodged in my throat.  I take 1 to 3 500 mg capsules per day,  depending if I feel a stinging tingle coming on I will increase to 2  to 3 during that short time. Otherwise I just take 1 500 mg, capsule per day, just to have it in me. 250 capsules at 16.90 brand called now, last over 2 months. That's way cheaper than anything else I have tried or used in the past 25 years, and believe you me,  I have tried everything there is medically online or in a Doctor's office in the United States. 

Also, I have noticed over the years if I eat anything with peanut butter or anything made with peanut oil and there is a lot of things made with it. OMG, a lot. Even my progesterone creams are made with it. Talk about major outbreaks. Had to get them to make the creams with olive oils. Crazy. Most nuts, cause H outbreaks to come on, they contain Arginine. To much  Arginine causes outbreaks  that last way to long.  I read that to much Lysine can cause breakouts, due to, too  much acid that can bring on outbreaks.  But I haven't found that to be true, in my case, as of yet. It has been several years. I have  at least 4  friends who take it for fever blisters and for Bacterial V. And they swear by it. They have used it over 10 years with very few cold sores/fever blisters or BV. I hope this helps somebody. 

• Posted

Hi

I have suffered with cold sores since I was a teenager and during the first 10-15 years I would get outbreaks normally if I was stressed, tired, unwell or been out in sunshine. This last one was really annoying as I would just return from a lovely holiday only to find that within a couple of days I would get a cold sore! My cold sores were always on my lip.

For the last 20 plus years, I have probably only had about 3 cold sores in this whole time - in fact I thought I had seen the last of them.

Then last summer I went into hospital for a heart procedure and within 3 days of coming home, I developed a really bad viral cold. As that began to subside, I developed a really bad sore on the outside of one of my nostrils - it was so sore but I put it down to blowing my nose a lot. However in the last 12 months, I have had these outbreaks virtually every month. I have also had 4 colds!

I believe these sores on my nose are cold sores as they are small blisters but they are totally different to my teenage cold sores.

Does anyone know if it is possible to be infected by a different type of herpes virus? At the moment it is pretty virulent and unpleasant.

I have never consulted my gp about my cold sores but I was seriously thinking of doing so.

Any thoughts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.