Ménière’s disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have fullness of ear and side of head deals full and slightly numb as well. Anyone with this symptom?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes Sue I get this when my attacks are imminent and on the side of the cheek if you touch it it alters the sound of the tinnitus nothing works for me just wait for the attack and it disappears for a while its just many of the odd symptoms we get good luck Sue
    • Posted

Thanks so much for all your answers!

Not only do I have fullness of the ear....My whole side of the face going up to my head has this fullness feeling and feels slightly numb.

Do you also have this feeling?

What is betahistine?  I am on diazide, a diuretic (water) pill.  This was a tremendous help to my vertigo!

• Posted

Yes sue,i have the same symptoms now I had a ear perfusion in April an the ringing an buzzing has got louder
    • Posted

Not only do I have fullness of the ear....My whole side of the face going up to my head has this fullness feeling and feels slightly numb.

What is betahistine?  I am on diazide, a diuretic (water) pill.  This was a tremendous help to my vertigo!

• Posted

Sue I have a fluid pill an diazepam an zofran been on it since 2008
    • Posted

my menieres flared up terribly! i feel faint and unwell.

Do you take diazide. Does the zofram help?

what dosage do you take?

Thanks for sharing.

SUE

• Posted

I used to get this before an attack too but having my betahistine dose increased has relieved all symptoms. 
    • Posted

• Posted

Betahistine is a drug which is first line of defence in U.K. for Meniere’s. It somehow relieves the pressure caused by fluid in the ear and in most people alleviates symptoms. No pressure no vertigo and tinnitus greatly reduced. 
    • Posted

Hi how much have you had your dose increased to and how long did it take to work? 

I had mine increased 6 days ago and I’m hoping this will work as had 3 months off of work this year already and symptoms are daily life for me now 

Thanks. Sarah 

• Posted

Hi Sarah. Mine was increased in January to 24mg x 3 per day from 8 which is what my gp had me on. I kept a diary of vertigo- hearing/pressure - tinnitus and the vertigo stopped within a few days. The pressure and hearing distortion gradually went over a couple of months - fluctuating not continuous. The tinnitus followed as it is driven by the fluid and pressure. I had a three month review and stayed on that level of medication then 6 month review the same. My next review is in January and I may start to cut down back to 16. Hang in there. It does work for most people but just a matter of getting the dose high enough to get it under control. Body size comes into it too. I’m 9 stone so someone bigger may need a higher dose. 
    • Posted

Oh right that’s good then, I was on 16 mg 3x a day and have had it increased in 32mg 3x daily so hoping that works. I’ve had a few spins and some general imbalance but I’m hoping this is due to some of the pressure being relieved. 

So encouraging to hear it is working for some. 

Sarah

• Posted

Is this like meclizine or antivert?
    • Posted

Hi, no betahistine is a one of a kind drug. It’s brand name is serc. It reacts to specific receptors that increase blood flow in the ear allowing fluid to be carried away with it as it usually does throughout the rest of the body 
  • Posted

I went to chief neuro ent and he put me on Diazide which took care of the vertigo. It should help for the fullness feeling too. It might be a little better but not enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.