Ménière’s symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have veered into questions about my condition on another thread about medication. But i would welcome hearing about other people's symptoms and the times of day they are worst affected. So I will also post that part of my own story here - and would be glad to hear of any similar aspects in other people's experiences.

My symptoms always seem worse in the morning and are better in the evening (apart from the tinnitus, which is bad at both times - or maybe i notice it more then, as everything around me is quieter at those times of the day. Does anyone else have this issue?

Because Menieres is only 'suspected' at the moment - although some of my symptoms definitely match - I've also been reading about Vestibular migraine, and wonder if its that, instead, as i sometimes get headaches, ear ache, pains down the sides of face, and a greater sensitivity to sounds, light and smells. As well as the sense of imbalance, nausea, tinnitus and occasional dizziness, loss of balance and orientation. I'm not sure if all of those are Menieres symptoms though -???

I'd be very interested to hear if other people have any or all of the above.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

so my neurologist diagnosed me with menieres rather quickly and I also dont really feel that's what I have. When I read about vestibular migraines it sounds way closer to what I have. I feel unsteady and uncoordinated everyday. I dont ever feel dizzy when sitting still but when I move my head I get a light headed kind of dizzy feeling especially looking up then down. Busy malls or supermarkets throw me off. I get pressure in my head and ears especially if I bend over. I also do et neck pain and headaches on and off with this which just amplifies the issues. The biggest issue of all is the extreme brain fog. I am a well educated individual and feel stupid from this. I have had it for 3 years but it used to only last for a month and go away for months at a time. I have had the symptoms now for a full year with onky about 3 weeks in this year where I felt I'd say 80 percent better. I am in Canada so healthcare takes forever and doctors are super dismissive here so I have my work cut out for me.

• Posted

sorry to hear about the dismissive doctors in Canada - I had no idea.

Thanks so much for sharing your symptoms. I could have been reading about myself there - they are so similar!

Sometimes when I'm in a supermarket shopping aisle or in a mall aisle it really hits me badly. I think its the mix of bright lights and people moving in different directions.

The bending/reaching up thing, too. I can start to fall backwards afterwards. And those are the few times when i notice ear pressure. However, I sometimes get the sensation of waves rolling through my ears - the feeling more than a noise.

If I can see an ENT person i will see if i can ask about VM as well as whether BPPV and that are related to menieres or totally different.

• Edited

I have never felt or heard any whooshing sounds in my ears. Mine tend to feel full at times like I have a cold. They always pop though. Elevation really gets mines. I can go up the smallest elevation and my ears instantly plug and I get a headache. Ya doctors in Canada are super dismissive. People dont realize Canadian healthcare is not what everyone thinks it is

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.