M.D for 20 years, Drop attack’s last two years

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all- I have had MD for 20 years and what started out as extremely dizzy moments where I could feel the attack coming, two to three times a  year, and be able to plan and Medicate to sleep it off, has now moved on to severe drop attacks, where I suddenly drop tot he ground, vomit, and can’t get back up for hours at a time, until the meds kick in.

I live in NYC, and I really can’t find a doctor who is aware of MD or drop attacks who can help me.

I thought this was only during the summer when allergies were out there, but this year I have had two attacks in the middle of winter. 

If anyone can help me with a reference to a doctor in the US, NYC , tri state that would be much appreciated.

Further any advice on what to do as next steps- I’ve tried all the meds, diet, diuretics, shakes, etc. wondering what people in my situation have done and what we’re the results. 

Thanks 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm afraid I cant help regarding ENT in NYC as Im a Brit, however I am also a 20 year veteran, and last summer started experiencing drop attacks,nothing like yours in as much that after a few seconds of Menieres type darting eyes etc I could get up and resume what I had been doing, but none the less real scary as I also was used to a bit of a build up to an attack, and this was like instantaneous, so I go to see my ENT consultant who was baffled, nothing different there, but he sent me to what he called the dizzy clinic,they tested me for  bppv but couldn't induce any type of attack, anyhow they showed me various head movements which theoretically get your brain to understand messages that a vertigo or some kind of attack is happening due to mixed messages to the brain if that makes sense, anyhow it worked,as your brain counteracts quicker, or maybe it was a coincidence, but Ive been stable for 6 months now, so don't give up, I think we grow out of menieres and this may be the last stage,hopefully, and also you are not alone with these drop attacks, I thought I was

• Posted

Thanks Peter good to know not alone as well. My homeopathic doctor does neck movements to me like you said, and at times it does work, but like i said every June to August during allergy season, I have on an off MD vertigo attacks and several drop attacks. Usually in winter i am fine, but it has come up again, and now I really don't know where to go next.

• Posted

Hello. I have also had MD for 20 years with just the same symptoms you describe, dizzy, vomit, sleep it off. This year I turned 60 and started having drop attacks, scariest thing ever!!!! I found an ENT, but he has never met any one with drop attacks. He gave me a prescription for Betahistine, which I have to order from a Canadian pharmacy online, since it is not sold in the US. The stuff worked for about 6 months, but I started having attack again. I also do not know what to do!!!!
    • Posted

Hi Diane,

sounds exactly what I am experiencing. I turned 60 this year, and for the first time have the drop attacks. If your ENT hasn't seen anyone that has had drop attacks, find another and they should be a otolaryngologist. I order the Betahistine from Canada, but I have not been consistent with it, and it does take a couple of months to work. Also, it should not be taken with other antihistames, which I was also doing,so I'm trying to take it now correctly.I am going to try vestibular therapy, as the ears and ears work together and with Menieres the brain is getting mixed signals from the eyes and this brings on the problem. My menieres is greatly affected by allergies, and with my allergies, I get facial pain. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

• Posted

La....you can take antihistamines with Betahistine....they just MUST be the nasal spray inhaler type....like Flonase or Azelastine (prescription).  The ORAL antihistamines are a NO NO because they neutralize the effect of the Betahistine since they both circulate through the blood system.  Nasal spray antihistamines stay in the nose.  Since you have such bad allergies and recognize a connection between MD and allergies (as I do), if you can manage the allergies better then along with taking Betahistine EVERY DAY, you might well notice significant improvement.  GOOD LUCK.
  • Posted

I find that a drastic change in atmospheric pressure and allergies affect my md. I have had 3 attack this month alone, not drops, just dizzy while driving. i pull over and have my husband come rescue me. Then he takes an uber back to his car. I dont want to live my life like this! i have horses and am very active, now i am scared to drive.......

• Posted

Hello Diane, I'm sorry you are having such issues, I would advise you to limit your driving until your symptoms subside some. I have had issues with this in the past, Doctor advised me not to drive, and I didn't want to be a bother to someone having to take me everywhere, so I continued driving until I got myself in a scary mess, losing control of my vehicle, I was able to regain control after nearly striking an overpass bridge. That was all it took for me to hang it up. Just be careful, this meniere's has a poor sense of humor, You really never know when an attack is coming or as too what extent the attack will be. 

Wishing you the best. Bertman  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.