M S and Gabapentin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have now been on Gabapentin for 2 1/2 months. I started slowly and am now on 1800mg a day. I have not noticed any benefits from the tablets and my legs seem stiffer than they were before. I am thinking of slowly coming off them as I don't want to take a drug that seems to be doing nothing for me.  Has anyone got any thoughts?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should try weaning off slowly.  In my experience, coming off them is difficult, but once you get past it, everything's fine.  No lasting effects.
  • Posted

They didn't help me either, and made me gain 18 lbs in 3 weeks.

I am on Lyrica and it is not helping either, and my knees seem to be bothering me, where they were not before.

• Posted

I'd want to get off any drugs that don't help.  There are so many different ones out there that could help. I would be frank w/your MD. Is it possible you have something else medically going on beside or in addition to "nerve pain? Hang in there Adrian.
  • Posted

l think it is actually giving me knee pain also.
    • Posted

Sorry, This is Lyrica I am taking and was talking about giving me knee pain and weakness.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, following my recent post regarding Gabapentin, I rang my MS nurse today and had a chat with her and she advised me to increase my dosage to see if that makes a difference.  I am just going to increase it steadliy until hopefully I will reach a point where the gabapentin starts to work. I  will keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.