Maca - anyone tried it?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello lovely ladies, I've posted on here a few times about my peri menopause symptoms that have plagued me over the past 18 months (since my cycle returned after breastfeeding) I was put on oestrogen gel which worked great to begin with but doesn't seem to be effective anymore so my doctors have advised that I come off it - today I've been reading about maca which seems to have nothing but positive reviews for balancing hormones and giving energy - has anyone here tired it ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes Karen,I've been using it and it has really helped with energy levels and balancing my hormones,I do use vitex as well.My functional cysts have resolved also, plus libido

has been a suprise bonus 

• Posted

H i Fairywren

Are you taking mega supplements or powder form?

I tried the powder form but don't think I took long enough to notice anything

Im just afraid to try things because of my stomach issue.

• Posted

I'm taking the powder form ,and my favourite way to eat it is heating frozen berries,add a little sugar,some yogurt and the Macca . (thumbs up)

• Posted

So I've just rushed off to holland and Baratt and asked them for maca, and the guy gave me a coy look! He said they only have the powder as the capsules are more intense and tend to rush off the shelves, so he asked me what I wanted it for and I said to balance hormones and give energy and he was like yeah it does that and also boosts libido which is why it's so popular?? Why have I not heard about this before!!! So I have a link which says which is the most effective type to get I can pm it ir it's pretty easy to find on google - Amazon seems to have loads of different types so I'm off there now to get me some !!

• Posted

I'm curious too..  I thought I looked into and there were mixed reviews..  some it worked for and others it made worse.  I don't know, maybe I'll look into it again.  I don't think it would hurt my energy is what I need.  : )  

• Posted

Definitely most of the reviews are positive which is unusual as people usually only review when they are unhappy - apparently the roles to go by when choosing a brand are - that it is geletanised, organic and grown in Peru, otherwise it can upset the stomach, you also have to start slowly and build up - I've just found one on Amazon from the healthy tree company that seems to fit the bill - as you say it can't hurt to try it !

• Posted

I bought MACA powder over 6 months ago after I read about it also.  I didnt really try it for a good period of time to see how well it would work for me.   I still have it and after reading everyone here am thinking about trying it agan.  When I did use it I put it in my morning smoothies.  
    • Posted

apparently the powder isn't that potent - you might get an better effect with the capsules - mine are due to be delivered tomorrow, came off hrt yesterday so will give it a few days and then start on it with vitex, i'll keep you posted!!

• Posted

Keep us posted on how it goes...   I think I'm nervous about trying it due to the possiblity of gaining weight..  Some lose, some gain..  I guess one takes a chance depending on the brand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.