Maca, Chasteberry for Large Fibroids?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I saw a very old discussion about this but I'm still super confused. Maca and Chasteberry are supposed to balance hormones but some say they can actually increase hormone levels and cause issues if you have fibroids etc. I'm in perimenopause and have very low progesterone and my fibroid has had a crazy growth spurt the last 2 years from 8 to nearly 12cm. However, even though my progesterone is low, when an arrogant, overpriced, idiot naturopath gave me natural compounded progesterone, telling me it would shrink the fibroid and solve everything, it actually made the fibroid grow another cm in just a few weeks and made me gain a ton of weight in my middle and breasts that I still can't lose nearly a year later. So it seems like there is no simple way to balance hormones. Even my OBGYN said that, women's hormones aren't simple math, esp pre-menopause. I'm debating surgery after trying tons of other things as it's still growing and doctors say it's possible I won't hit real menopause for several years. Also I've heard large fibroids often don't shrink enough during menopause, esp if you use HRT. So to shrink the fibroid I've tried -- vegan diet (DIET DOES NOT CAUSE THIS, I have always eaten paleo and grain free for decades, so sick of diet-shaming people claiming diet cures all, assuming you weren't already eating healthy and that there aren't plenty of people who eat garbage and have no health or gyn issues), acupuncture/herbs, castor oil packs tho not super regularly, green tea pills (800mg daily for over a year). The only thing that helped a bit was ulipristal (shrunk it a couple cm) but then the fibroid grew back in a month and I had terrible side effects while on the pill due to my already low progesterone and age. Don't want embolization as have seen recent studies that say beads can actually move inside you, and don't stay put as promised. And Acessa seems like an overpriced scam that doesn't work for larger fibroids due to real patient reports. No great options for women, really. So wondering if anyone has tried either Maca or Chasteberry for a large fibroid, NOT tiny ones. Or found any other non-surgical help. My doctor is pushing for open surgery and I really want non-invasive as I'm alone and can't take all that time off work. Plus surgery just sounds bad for you and there's always the risk of losing organs when female organs are NOT valued in older women. It's like oh you can't have babies, you're not using this, let me just toss it in the trash for you. Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My friend had surgery to remove her fibroid. I believe it was 9 cm. She's 9 weeks out and doing well--- couldn't even wait for Dr's orders to resume sex..

• Posted

Do you know if she had open surgery vs laproscopic or robotic? Because mine is so large they are pushing me towards open which is longer down time. 9 weeks is a really long time for me to be out of work. Open surgery is 4 to 6 weeks recovery. Still too long for me. Did you friend have it done in CA by chance?

• Posted

Hers was like a size of a small grapefruit. She lives alone in NJ and had her sister come for a few days right after... I'll find out more..

• Posted

She had laproscopic.. Kept one ovary. First couple days were the worst and had help.. After that she was fine.. So if you did this on Friday, could go back by Monday or Tuesday. Or even for the week to make sure your ok but she said by the third day, she was doing things on her own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.