Maca root and itching

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have used maca root before in 2013 for 3 months or more,can't remember. Then stopped using it for almost a year because I travelled, I returned to using it and I had terrible itching, I had to go to the hospital and I was given an injection, it relieved me in 3 days . It didn't itch me the 1st time so I don't know what could have caused the itching. I stopped it but I want to go back to using it now but scared. What can I do to prevent or stop itching so I can start using it again? The maca capsule I used then was a NOW product but the one I have now is Peruvian maca. Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joycebolu,

What was the injection you had? Was it for an allergic reaction? ​An allergic reaction to a food/supplement does not always show up the first time you use it.  Itching is one of the hallmarks of an allergic reaction. Did you have any gastric symptoms? Burning in/around the mouth? Increased urination? Do the itching stop when you stoppped the maca root the second time?

Someone posted here earlier in the month about the link between peri/meno and allergies.  It is very helpful!

• Posted

Thanks, the injection was to stop the itching, not sure what it was, but I was given hydrocortisone cream to rub on my skin. I didn't have any other symptom except itching and there was no rash. The maca that caused the itching was the remaining part of the bottle i used the First time which didn't cause itching.

• Posted

Please how can I get the link on peri/meno. I can't seem to find it. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Joycebolu,

The discussion in this forum was labeled 'menopause and allergies.' I tihnk we are not allowed to post links.

The forum member who told me about it said to google the histamine menopause connection. I developed a number of very odd food allergies (egg, bananas, onions.....)  at the beginning of peri and this searched helped explain how estrogen plays a role in histamine processing. 

It is a weird and upsetting set of complications for sure! Especially for you since the maca root helped! I ended up in the hospital one weekened with a closed throat because I ate mango. (Never had a problem before.) And who develops a mango allergy at 48? Perimenopause and me. smile

• Posted

It may be that you have become allergic to it. Sometimes itching is an indication of an allergy, and the first sign that if you continue to consume what you're allergic to your body's reaction could become more serious, like hives, swelling, inability to breathe, etc. So don't view the itching as an inconvenience.  It could have been worse.    

You could also be allergic to the type of maca or something in the process used by the company to refine it.

You are right to be cautious.     

• Posted

Thanks, you might be right, maybe I have suddenly become allergic to it, because I was using it without any problem but then stopped for a while and went back to using it , which caused itching. Its been more than a year now since the itching scenario. I just bought a new maca but different from the one I used then. This one is Peruvian maca, I am thinking of using just one and see how it goes.
    • Posted

An easier way to find out if you're allergic is to open the capsule, dissolve the maca in water.  Open a bandaid, drip the water onto the pad and put the bandaid firmly against one of your inner wrists and affix it. Wait 24 hours.  If you develop a rash under the pad you know you're allergic.

That way, you haven't eaten anything, and it's safer than taking it and waiting to see if you get sick. 

• Posted

Please let me know how you do.  And, just to be safer, if you decide to try the maca, empty out 3/4 of the capsule and just take 1/4 in the capsule.  That way, if there are any ill effects, it won't be too bad.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Which one did you first try that didn't give you a rash? Try that one. If you're reacting to a new one that sent you to the hospital don't take it. In fact, return it you have 30 days to return it. I got sick when I took sage, it sent me to the hospital as well. So I returned it. I wouldn't take the one causing you any discomfort. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks a lot, it was the same NOW maca, Infact from the same bottle and it wasn't expired when I returned to using it. So I wouldn't know what happened that it caused itching , be cause it was from the same bottle I was using before the space.

• Posted

I see. It sounds to me as if the Maca retained some moisture and it got moldy which in turn would give you a rash or itching as was your case. I had a similar incident a while back. My doctor explained that the product probably had mold and had given me a rash all over my upper body.

I would change brands. For some strange reason I don't buy now brands very often. Maca is a Peruvian plant that is not cheap, so if you got it cheap chances of having a pure substance maybe low. Look online read reviews of products from amaxon and choose one with the best reviews and skip NOW products from now on.

• Posted

That might be the problem, because it was opened and not sealed for a while. I will attempt lynda20916's suggestion. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.