Macrobid side effects?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone taken macrobid for a UTI/urethral irritation?  Did you experience any side effects - specifically, did it make you feel "spacey" at all?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I've taken it for UTI, I sort of do recall feeling spacey or just not all together. But 3 days later after not having any luck with it my doctor changed my prescription. I think that feeling of spacey may mean you are reacting negatively to it as I recall from what my doctor said. So it was switched on me and my UTI was cured.

• Posted

It was switched after they tested to see how many colonies had grown since starting the pills, and I had grown more than what I should have thereby getting a new prescription.
  • Posted

I would suggest you give it a few days or call your pharmacist and ask if thats a natural reaction so to this medication.
    • Posted

Thanks.  I took my dose this morning with a meal and feel better - I think I didn't eat enough w/second dose last night but will definitely call pharmacist if spacey feeling recurs.  Will be glad to get lab results back in a couple of days.

• Posted

Oh good glad to read you're feeling better.

• Posted

Me too.  The "spacey" feeling is gone.  I must be sure to eat well with this medicine!

• Posted

Yes got uti in March and got macrobid and had side effects. Can't remember what now. Had to practically beg dr to change it. Then got Cipro and 3 days later uti was better.

• Posted

Good to know.  I took Cipro in January when I thought I had a UTI, but two  separate tests showed no bacterial growth and Cystoscopy done by urologist was normal.  There was irritation but apparently little or no infection.  Symptoms now are identical so far to how that went.  Never had all this going on before peri.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.