MACROBID Side Effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was given Macrobid this past June for a UTI. I get UTIs about once a year and usually take Amoxicilin without any problems but my doctor was worried I would develop a resistance to it so she gave me Macrobid.

For the first 2 days I was ok and it helped clear up the UTI. But on the third day I started to develop bad muscle weakness. It is strange to describe but it seemed like my muscles lost their elasticity so if I stretched my leg muscles and then relaxed the the muscles took a long time to go back to where they started.

It was really bad at night where I felt paralyzed lying in bed.

I stopped the drug on day 4 and after a few weeks my muscles recovered mostly but I still seem to have residual muscle weakness even now after all this time.

Has anyone else had this problem from Macrobid and did it go away eventually?

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I took macrobid and i took a 7 day course last week my muscles seem very weak atm, and im tired easily. I told the doctor since finishing macrobid ive got tingling in my fingers and feet and like i get pains in my arms and legs since taking it and he told me he doesnt think its linked eventhough imo it is. It gets worse at night and is bareable during the day. My hand was numb when i woke up the first week being off it. Have your muscles improved at all?

• Posted

i took co amoxiclav a week before so it could be something about the two

• Posted

I still have problems with my muscles even though it has been over a year since I took Macrobid. The problem still is when I stretch the muscles and relax they do not go back right away. I still have muscle pains in the morning and take Tylenol for it. Amoxicilin is the best antibiotic for me with no side effects. I guess I have to live with it. Good luck.

• Posted

im having muscle weakness like my legs feel like rubber i just started macrobid 4 days ago and i dont feel better im also lightheaded i thought it was from the uti it never accured to me it might be from the macrobid .

• Posted

Yes that is a good way to explain it "like rubber". That is exactly what I had ( and still have to a lesser degree). You really must stop the Macrobid asap before it destroys your muscles. You should switch to Amoxicillin for your UTI which is what I use and it has no side effects. But please stop the Macrobid and tell your doctor. You can check its side effects on the internet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.