Macular dystrophy pigment change in macula of teenager

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son has a circle shape of pigment change in one eye with normal vision. Dr called it a pattern dystrophy. Everything on internet says hereditary but does it have to be hereditary? So scared due to what all I have read. He's 13. Has anyone had this and what's the prognosis, I hope it's some benign spot that can heal.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have it also. Dont panic too much. It is heriditary, but can be via autosommal recesive, so parents are just transmittors and are healthy. In my family no one has it.
    • Posted

How old are you? How old when diagnosed? 1 eye or both? Do u have any problems from it now?
    • Posted

I am 27. been diagnosed in november. Both eyes. I had symptoms of bad night vision sicne i was 14, so that was when it started. I have leoblems with night vision. What about your son?
    • Posted

They showed me his picture of macula. Did u see yours? What did it look like? His is dystrophy, pigment was a yellow circle, doubled in size in 1 year.
    • Posted

Yes it is a cirlce. What kind of problems does your son have? Poor night vision? Anything else?
    • Posted

He doesn't have any problems. Just a lil distant vision blurry as I did when I was 21. I'm a pharmacist and have always been nervous about hearing bad news from the eye dr for my kids. So I took him and they found it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.