Macular Hole

Posted , 21 users are following.

I was diagnosed yesterday with a small macular hole.  I am to be evaluated further on Monday in order to determine the stage I am at.  The opthamologist indicated it was small during my initial examination.  I am scared... I am 52 years old... sounds like the post operative on this is horrible, and a cataract inevitable... can anyone let me now their personal experience with this?  I am very concerned about my vision - and the possibility of another one in my right eye..

Thanks

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you...I appreciate your comments... Have an appointment with the retinal surgeon on Wednesday, so should be able to get some concrete answers then.

• Posted

Spoke to retinal surgeon today, hole size slightly smaller than 200 microns, full depth.  Surgery, 5 day face down positioning.. What I am wondering is does the distortion go away?  I understand that my vision will be reduced from what it was previous to the macular hole, however, I am wondering if anyone out there has had this procedure, and got rid of the distortion??

Thank you!

• Posted

I had my operation on February 12, and the gas bubble finally disappeared after seven weeks. It's only after the bubble has (almost) gone that you can start to see clearly again, because the bubble creates its own distortions (massive to begin with). Even when the bubble has gone, the eye is still recovering from the operation, so there's still quite a way to go.

I had my eyesight tested on 23 March (6.5 weeks after the operation), and it was good. In the next test on 7 May (12 weeks) it was even better.

The big distortions that I experienced before the operation have now gone, and what is left is a slight distortion, a very small blind spot, at the centre of focus, even though the hole is closed. This spot may eventually disappear because the eye is still healing, my doctor says. No one can predict how long it will take or whether the blind spot will fade entirely or not. But even if it doesn't disappear, I can live and work with it, no problem. I'm very pleased with the result as it is.

Hope for a successful operation and then commit yourself fully to that face-down positioning afterwards, it's vital. As m surgeon said to me, after telling me that the surgery had gone very well: "Now it's up to you!"  It was very strenuous, but when it was over, it was wonderful to hear the doctor saying the hole had closed and to know that it had been worthwhile. Here's wishing you similar success!  

• Posted

Thank you Edward for your response...  I will be glad when it is finally over and I can begin the healing process.
  • Posted

Hi Carol,  I had a macular hole op. 12 years ago. Only option then was to lie face down for three weeks.  Four months ago the hole opened and I had to have another op.  Options now are gas in the eye, or oil in the eye.  With gas you now have to lie face down for about two weeks.  If you have oil, you have to have a second op. To remove the oil.  I chose to have the oil, and have just had it removed.  Given the choice again, I would choose the gas.  One lesson on the eyes is much better.   Hope this helps
  • Posted

I had a victrectomy for a macular hole 4 months ago. I was put out for 20 minutes beginning of surgery then woke. It wasn't bad I could see the dye being used but didn't feel anything  .  Did face down for 2 weeks which wasn't as bad as. Thought. I was very diligent and at my 2 wk check up the hole had closed. I did have blurry ness and a small blind spot just under the center which was very annoying . My dr would only say that the gas and my cataract didn't get along and the cataract had to be removed in order for me to see better. Living with a blurry eye for 4 months wasn't easy..especially since I am a jeweler and an artist . I managed to function using my good eye and half my bad one. I just had cataract surgery and the eyesight is much clearer but I still have the small,blind spot . I keep wondering if the surgeon did something wrong and cause it or is it just that the macular never really comes back completely from a hole ....any insight? 
  • Posted

Had macular hole surgery 3yrs ago the hole closed but still a little bit of destortion. have now had cateract surgery on both eyes and have just developed a second macular hole in my left eye surgen told me l have been very unlucky. Am now very worried about my sight as car,nt read or wright very well at mo and am unable to reconise peoples faces have also to go for an Fluorescein Angiogram to see if enything else is going on am so worried. Hope someone can reasure me.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Christina - that's a lot of surgery in a short time. But if the operation on the first macular hole went well, leaving only a bit of distortion, you have good reason to be optimistic about the outcome of the second operation. I, too, have some slight distortion after macular hole surgery 15 months ago, but reading ability, writing ability and facial recognition - all of which were very difficult before the operation - are all good and stable now.

So try not to worry, it will only wear you down. Trust in your surgeon to do a good job aain.

All the best,

Edward       

• Posted

So, here I am almost a year after surgery in my left eye for macular hole... I have multiple distortion points in the eye, however I can read with it.  Now, I seem to be having a problem with my right eye... could I really be so unlucky as to get another macular hole??  I am hoping that it is a floater?  I can read the Amsler Grid - no distortion, however, am scared that I have another hole.  Must wait for my appointment for several days to see the Optomotrist... I need some hand holding here...
    • Posted

Carol, how are you?  What happened with your other eye and the operated eye? I just started reading this thread after my macular hold surgery last week.  
    • Posted

Yes am fine had head down for a week sight is alot better but still not able to read yet but is easier for walking and seeing kerbs and not needing white stick any more gas bubble gone not quiet clear sight yet and got lots of black dots. surgen was pleased with me at week after appontment hoping to get new glasses soon which will help my reading hope u inproving to x
    • Posted

ooh am sorry to hear that l had right eye macular hole done 3 years ago. Have still got distorted vision in that eye. Was unlucky enough to get another in my left eye so sight has been bad had gas bubble put in that eye 3 weeks ago and can now see much better but not read too good yet but sight can keep inproving for up to 6 months so is early days yet but looking much better wishing you luck and hoping its not another one for you to .
  • Posted

Well, Im very glad to read all your experiences. It was so good to me finding these informations - I was very paranoid about the distortions after macular hole surgery Im seeing.

Im 24 yo, and had a macular hole after retinal detachment treatment in my only working eye. The other eye cant see but lights, due to retinal detachment that couldnt be fixed - even with 5 surgeries.

Well, my doc put a long time gás bubble in my eye - it takes almost three months to Go away completely. Now it's been 35 days of surgery and Im still with 50? of gas. Im very sad, because Im seeing a distortion that is in the same shape of the distortion that I was experiencing before surgery, but much smaller - I can read, use my smartphone. Would that mean that my hole wasnt fully gone? Doc says that we Will only know with an OCT exam, after the gas is less than 40?. Im very anxious.

Cheers and good luck to you all. Sorry for my bad english!

• Posted

Hi, Felipe. Try not to worry. If there's still 50% of the gas in your eye, that will probably be causing some distortion. Also, you say the distortion is already much smaller than it was before, and that you can read aand write, so there has already been significant improvement. It's 18 months since my operation to close a macular hole and there is some residual distortion (apparently) caused by the tiny scar from the operation, but I can easily live with that, and I'm happy about the improvement the op has brought about. I hope you will be, too, when the gas has gone.

Edward

• Posted

Thanks a lot, Edward! Your comment hás brought me a lot of peace, just as the Kerry's comment below.

I hope we will suceed. I'll come back to tell you all the results soon as possible. At the moment Im also seeing a blank space in the middle of the vision like Kerry. Heard that can be healed with time - good luck to us!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.