Macular hole and cataract

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a detached retina in June last year that resulted in a cataract and macular hole. I had an operation on Dec 8th to sort both problems. So far, so good. I can see above the gas bubble line but although I can see quite clearly, there appears to be a haze above the bubble. It is possible that it is just light reflecting off the gas bubble?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wish could help you, but have you googled your condition as might help get the answers you need. Just like to show my support.
    • Posted

Yes Janet but I can't see the answer so thought it may be better to ask someone who has been there. I have got my surgeon's email address as I went private so I'll email him Monday morning. The only thing is, unless you have been through the same thing, how can anyone know what you see from your side of things. Surely they can only guess. I'm on the inside looking out and they are on the outside looking in so to speak.
    • Posted

I really do get what your going through and do have an insighton what it must be for you, totally support your situation. My two sons had an illness which left them blind which always makes me value sight. Would be nice to know how you get on.

• Posted

I had a vitrectomy for macular hole then developed a cataract very quickly.  Then vision became cloudy in the eye that I had done.  I had a capsulotomy.  Just a few quick blasts with a laser and it was back to normal.  When I had the gas bubble my eye would seem hazy at times but as the bubble got smaller my sight became clearer.

hope you get the answer you are looking for when you contact your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi, I emailed my surgeon this morning and he has come back to advise me what I am seeing is normal and that I may also get a reflection off the new lens.

• Posted

Great news.  I am so pleased for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.