made a claim for esa need some advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

did my claim o er the phone how long does the processing take? will I receive any payments in the mean time?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sara

Firstly there are 7 'waiting days' in which you receive no payment for. Within 2 weeks you should receive a copy of the phone claim and a request for supporting evidence including your sick note from your GP.

You should receive your first assessment phase payment 3 weeks after your telephone claim. This is £73pw over 25 and £57pw under 25. As benefits are paid 2 weeks in arrears your first payment should be double the amounts mentioned depending on your age.

You will then receive an ESA50 which you have to complete and return within one month. A date will then be set for your assessment.

Depending on the assessment you will either be played in the Work Related Activity Group, Support Group or found fit for work where you would have to claim Job Seekers Allowance.

If you are placed in the WRAG or SG from the 13 week of claim you will receive extra money WRAG £102.15 SG £109.30. There may be further Income Related top ups if you claim Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independent Payments

• Posted

thankyou for that I have sent my sick note off today I have a appointment with my gp tomorrow to ask for any back up letters etc she can give me also been intuch with my consultant to provide me with letters of my treatment plan she has put me on so fingers crossed this will all help out that ks again for your help
    • Posted

I cannot understand why people have to wait 7 days before they are allowed a sickness benefit award due to the fact that they are too sick to work.

Most have probably not had any money for more than 7 days before they made the claim. Claiming a benefit is generally the last option - hoping that they can get back to work soon. How are they supposed to survive when the government tell them that they won't start to get paid until they have had another 7 days of poverty?

• Posted

iv worked for past 7 years but last 12 months iv had to take a lot of time off due to my fibro and extreme fatigue and currently on crutches to help me walk work are now sending me to ocupatinal health it's looking like I may end up giving up my job as I'm not able todo a full week as my condition is so bad at the moment I was advised to claim for esa iv never claimed any sickNess benifit before
  • Posted

Hi Sara,

I made my claim for ESA last week in Dec because my SSP ended on boxing day. The DWP officer whom I made the claim with over the phone gave me the address to send my fit note and SSP1 so that I wouldn't have to wait for the statement requesting it and I got my first payment the week after.

In that same week I also received the ESA50 to fill in from Medical Services. However I received my ESA award notice 5 days ago and the statement the officer spoke of the following day - all seems a little mixed up to me lol but hey ho.

Was you receiving SSP from your job? I am currently not able to receive the full amount of ESA until the end of Jan because they said the £328 I got paid last day of Dec is meant to cover me until end of Jan, 

Don't know if certain areas are quicker than others at processing but mine was sorted pretty quick.

Spose I have another F2F to look forward to now neutral

Good luck 

• Posted

hi yes I get my sick pay from work as only been on sick for 3weeks I'm hoping to hear something this week your really lucky to have yours so quick smile iv sent my sicknote off to the address they gave me over the phone not sure if they r going to ask my doctor for any more evidence or if I will have too just want it all sorted as it can be stressful carnt it x
  • Posted

received a letter today asking for infomation to back up my claim so I rang them to say already sent sick note in but they said I'm not intitled to it as don't pat anuff national insurance so now I'm at a loss of what todo feeling so upset and fustrated don't know which way to turn now
    • Posted

Sorry, I now see you've already answered that (foggy brain) 

You wont get ESA til that has finished. You could see if you could apply for Income Support as a bit extra

• Posted

Are you receiving SSP from your work? If you are you will have to apply for ESA once your SSP ends (28 weeks I think mine was) 
    • Posted

yes work pay me sick pay but jobcentre said I don't pay anuff national insurance so not intitled to any help at all
  • Posted

been told not going to get any help at all from anywhere even if I was to give up work becouse I have a husband that works 32 hrs aswell

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.