Made a New Appointment

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my first repair in Dec 16. Everything was going great! PT was amazing, ROM was amazing and the pain wasn't bad. If I had done a lot that day the pain increased but that was only expected. My PT always said how shocked he was how well I was doing with little pain. Then about 3 months in it started clicking and a lot of pain and swelling in the bicep. Ortho kept saying it was normal and I kept pushing that something was wrong. He finally ordered another MRI and found it was tore. Him calling it this time a stress tear.

Fast forward to May to my second repair. Was awful. The pain was not controllable this time. I didn't want PT touch the arm. Could not get the ROM anywhere close to where it was prior to the surgery so you can imagine the frustration that set in. I was doing all I could pushing as hard as I could to the point of almost in tears trying to get my arm to do it. I was doing everything this second time around by the books.. 12 weeks out of work.. PT 2x a week plus at home and icing and using the tens unit. Still pain got unbearable. Assisted I could not get my arm past shoulder high or you would put me in tears it got so intense. Ortho said now.. my shoulder is Frozen!

Monday two weeks ago I had a manual manipulation under anesthesia. My PROM is 165 now. My AROM is 125. Which is a lot better. However the pain is intense but I refuse to give up. I saw Ortho today and keep getting this is normal.

We have made a decision to seek a second opinion because no matter what I say he's done no imaging since the MRI prior to the second repair!

I knew going in it would be a long recovery, but they never told me I had to be miserable!

😞 Krista

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ugh.  What a frustration.  Are you continuing to use ICE?  If not, pack the shoulder in ice throughout the day.  The biceps tendon is a bugaboo.  If your posture is off, you will struggle all including the biceps tendon.  Remember to drop the shoulder and pull the shoulder blades back.  How is your internal and external rotation, i.e., scores?  Do not be afraid to rest the shoulder too.  Slow and steady.  Remember your PT gets paid by billing.  If you stop going for a while, that's lost money for the PT.  Think of it as having a black eye.  Are you going to probe the bruises or let a PT touch the area until it feels a bit better?  Slow and steady.  This is temporary.  You will improve.  Take a break.  Continue icing.  Continue your passive exercises.  Correct your posture, i.e., drop the shoulder, pull it back with the shoulder blades.  SLOW and STEADY.  Keep your chin up.  You can do it!!  You are not alone.  ICE ICE ICE !!  God Bless

• Posted

I do use ice often. And yes I also make sure my shoulders are back. Ortho pointed that out in the very beginning to me. But the further out I'm getting the more painful it's becoming vs less that's where the frustration has set. And I do take it easy when it flares up however since 2 weeks ago when I had the MUA done.. Ortho ordered 10 sessions of PT to be completed in 2 weeks and it was brutal. But I did it! I knew going in it wasn't a fast recovery process, however they didn't explain it to be this bad either.

• Posted

Are you dropping the shoulder and pinching the shoulder blades??  This relieves the biceps tendon tug, rub, pinch....  If yes, keep up the good work!!  Keep icing and REMEMBER  this is temporary!! YOU CAN DO IT
  • Posted

Okay, so do some research online.  Slow and steady.  You have to focus on you.  If you think something is off, get a second even a third opinion.  I don't like the pt 10x in 2 weeks...that does not sound patient-centered especially with the pain and discomfort.  Do not give up.  You will recover.  There is nothing wrong with seeking a new PT too.  Ask around neighbors, friends, etc.  I had to fire one PT after he ripped my repairs off the anchors.  My neighbor swore by the new PT.  The new PT is amazing.  I have full ROM active and passive but am early in the re-repair.  I also filed a complaint with the state regarding the first PT.  The state took the complaint and is actively investigating.  Sometimes the PT (and the doctor) for one reason or another are focused or under stress to meet quotas it can become about $$ and not rehab.  We all have to be careful.  GOOD LUCK and KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!!  YOU WILL BE OKAY!! Take care!!

• Posted

I’m in the same boat. Surgery in February. Gosh awful pain. Received Arthrex Speed Bridge implant. I think the implant is holding me back from full range motion. PT has been a joke from the beginning. Excruciating pain from day 2. I have a small farm which I usually take care of. My husband has been so supportive. I’m stubborn. I’ve been trudging along doing as much as I can. I also love to cook. Having surgery on my dominant arm has been a big mistake. I was better off not having the surgery. I was told that I had 2 rotator cuff tears, 2 bicep tears and 1 large tear under my arm pit. Now, my pain and ROM is much worse than before. I’m disabled now. Painful, unrelenting spasms, narcotics, muscle relaxants, anti inflammatory cream...I’m disappointed and disgusted. PT girl laughed at me everyone I went in to be stretched. Said my implant was dissolving. I told her she was wrong. I did the research and actually called the manufacturer. It’s a local company. I told PT that they needed to research another plan to help with my ROM. I quit PT after 6 useless weeks and hours of commuting. 

I can only get my arm up to my chin. No true strength pushing forward. I don’t feel it’s frozen. Extreme pain but it does move with support. Again, I’m stubborn. I refuse to give up. I’m hoping to ride my horse again in the upcoming Fall and Winter months.

• Posted

If you completely relax the arm in Passive range can it go higher then your chin or does it feel like it locks? And ad far as PT, if you don't have one thst is client friendly it doesn't seem ad if you get as much out of it. I know I've spent a lot in therapy in a years time but I wouldn't trade him for the world!

• Posted

My shoulder doesn’t actually “lock” but if I really push it(in pain) I can lift a little higher. I truly think that the Speed Bridge implant is holding me back. It’s super tight. I keep doing stretches on it and everyday I put up with the pain and push on. Right now I’m cutting back on my pain meds. My pain mgt appt is days later than usual. Got to squirrel away enough to last.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.