Magic six weeks?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Though I am making steady progress and have no cause for concern i am surprised i feel rather flat at six weeks. I think i have just really realized what a long haul this is going to be! I would welcome hearing from others a little further on from me how you found this time. I can do more, so much more than I could, but still it's very restrictive!

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A full recovery, where you rarely think about your knee, can take up to two years. I am at 8 months.  I believe it.  I am 98% along the way.  The final 2% is coming slowly.
    • Posted

yes, thank you...  that percentage for eight months seems very good. much appreciated. 
  • Posted

I had a TKR last June and recorded my progress as I am having the second knee done this June.  This is what i wrote at 6-1/2 weeks:  "I am still having trouble getting up in the morning.  Have resumed normal routine but am very, very tired and unmotivated.  Finding I can balance pretty well without the cane."

And then, at 7-1/2 weeks I wrote, "Am back to pre-op energy level, tho still seem to want to go to bed earlier at night."

My pre-op energy level was low, so take this into consideration.  Hope the above encourages you!

• Posted

Thank you that is very encouraging...  I am tired... more than I expected. post operative anaemia hasn't helped.  I feel rather unmotivated, which I didn't expect.  But thank you for sharing your experience.  sounds like you were in a similar place to me at this point!  

• Posted

Hi jenny,im glad your making steady progress its 8 weeks since i had my TKR and 3 weeks ago i only had 35 degree bend went to 45 and this week 50 i was so worried but yesterday physio was saying im doing great, after a bad start it really boosted my mood as i see on this forum you have good and bad days,it is a long haul i was hoping to be back at work after 13 weeks i live and hope lol,this forum does lift your mood and i keep saying there's people a lot worse than me but suppose when your down that doesin't help, sorry i cant say more keep your chin up before you know it you'l be out dancing again lol.

• Posted

Glad to read your post Victoria as at 5 weeks I've been really desperate about my 40 degree bend that is stuck there and being threatened by manipulation if not improved soon. Been disppointed in my lack of progress so it helps that you are now seeing results. Thanks x

• Posted

thank you...it's so easy to feel worried about progress isn't it!   keep feeling my walking should be better, but then my quadriceps didn't kick into action until four weeks post op!   So while my flexion and extension are fine, I feel a bit like my walking should be better than it is.  I think the flatness I feel is because I am still hobbling around and I didn't think I would be at six weeks!   I'll keep my chin up though! 

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I'm at 12 wks; a 62 yr old male retired iron worker, 230lbs. and in fairly good shape and active. Today I wrestled 6-80lb. bags of quickcrete concrete and a bunch of brick pavers.. (wifee says she's tried to fix stupid for over 40 yrs.) I've read so many of the post on this site over the past month or so and there are so many of them that  mirror my kr experience it aint funny, You sound like you're doing pretty good to me. The one thing I might add to when learning to walk again with both legs is to try and use a running shoe with the wide barrel shaped heal, it will help you index your foot in the right direction, the old style tennis shoes with the rounded heal worked great for me when I was just dragging the leg.

wink 

• Posted

That made me smile...the idea of you wrestling with bags of instant concrete.  Thankfully my operated leg doesn't feel like it is made of concrete any more!!!!  Thanks for encouragement, and the note about shoes is helpful.  I'm mega fed up of watching the snails overtaking me as I make my way here and there.   I'm going to have to just switch my "I need to sort this out" or "I need to do that" brain cells off I think.  I'm going to go swimming tommorrow, or as near as I can do... that should help.  Love the water.  Really missed swimming. 

• Posted

Don't rush back to work before you are ready . You will not be doing yourself any favours if you do . Keep up the physio , I did mine several times each day took 6 months . It was a challenge to see how much more bend I could get each week . Ended up with almost 130 degrees , and 0 degrees extension .

• Posted

Hi Jenny i am 14 week post op,still got the stiffness some days i feel better than others. I have just got back from Spain and I did alot of walking. Got off the plane and thought i am back to square one. I was talking to the lady sat next to me on the plane she had her knee done 12months ago and still struggling. We have to just keep battling on.Take care. X
    • Posted

Thats so encouraging after 14 weeks been on holiday im away end of aug and was glad i booked for a bit later to get as well as i could as i love walking,well done susan that should cheere jenny up biggrin))))
    • Posted

Yes, it is that experience of when you do a lot, and then get all excited that you are doijng it, then experience a bit of aftermath!  But I think I need to make a list of steps forward I make as I make them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.