Magnesium

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello and good morning was wanting to ask, has anyone tried magnesium for there afib? And if so which one do you use? I here that it’s good for heart thank you

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I've taken a supplement and I think yes, it did help. I should start again really!! I've also used foot soaks and bath salts high in mag, as read somewhere that via the skin is a good way to absorb. Somebody posted recently on this forum about a "spritzer' spray also being a useful way to use mag. Very difficult to get accurate blood level readings I believe.

• Posted

They all say Mag Taurate is the best one. Can make you drowsy apparently. 

Do you mind if I ask, why do you call yourself 'Bigmarlon'?

• Posted

I have a cousin that I grew up with that’s named Marlon also, our family gave us the nicknames lil Marlon and big Marlon cause I’m much bigger than he is, but if your asking do I need to lose weight yes I’ve been a big guy my whole life, my bp surprisingly was very good over the years, I had a episode two years ago and my doc put me on beta blockers, I now take solatol, 4th July I did have another episode as I have a bbq business and I was on top of a grill in 105 degree weather and I was drinking a lot of lemonade I didn’t go to hospital my rate came down, but I am feeling I guess maybe short of breath or a asthma like feeling where I have to cough, and I have a nervous feeling cause I worry a lot, nothing really hurts but just that feeling of asthma could that be anxiety?
    • Posted

It could be anxiety AND it could be something else. Best thing for you would be to go and get checked out professionally. Maybe a 25/7 holter to spot anything untoward. 

And yeah, losing weight would be helpful if you're getting SOB. :-) 

• Posted

Low magnesium and potassium levels are probably the main reasons for afib.  They are both measured by a special technique, not one used by most doctors.

Any magnesium is fine except magnesium oxide, which ironically is sold everywhere, so you have to go to specialty stores to get something other than the oxide often.

Magnesium oil is magnesium in water but at a very high concentration, so it feels like oil when you put it on, but it absorbs through the skin and does a good job of entering the blood.

For some, taking magnesium on an empty stomach could cause problems since magnesium relaxes muscles and can irritate gerd and stomach issues which then could cause palpitations, etc. when the adequate levels of magnesium have not been reached throughout the body.  If the magnesium seemed to make afib worse then my suggestion is to take it early in the day and with food and not lie down for several hours.

Frank

• Posted

Magnesium  oxide is very insoluble, even in the stomach, so very little magnesium gets absorbed. Most magnesium salts are very soluble, except magnesium oxide.
  • Posted

I've had bad EKGs and more recent afib events. And on a friend's recommendation that also had afib I started taking magnesium supplements and I've not had an afib event since in several months. I swear by this. In my case my blood results show normal magnesium levels, but on researching this I found that you can't really measure these levels in the blood. Anyway not saying it will work for you, but I can attest on my case my afib events have completely disappeared. Hope this helps..

• Posted

Thank you and yes I’m gonna get magnesium turate I think that’s it, I went to Walmart all they had was oxide which I already have, I will be ordering different kind thanks a lot for the replys
    • Posted

Hello, I was wondering what type of Magnesium you take?

• Posted

whoops you say what type. I'm going to try it

• Posted

Hi Bigmarlon, interesting question. After a stroke and an ablation to fix my AF three years ago, I have suffered ectopics/palpitations, especially when at rest with a resting heart rate typically mid-40s.

I also believe stomach bloating can aggravate and cause ectopics, especially at night. I started taking big standard magnesium tablets a few weeks ago, and the ectopics seem to have virtually disappeared, with many nights completely free.

I have also been trying to isolate foods that cause my bloating, and have come up with tomatoes, probably peculiar to me, but these two changes have made a big difference, just not sure which is the major effect.

Cheers

Sherpa Al

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.