Magnesium Citrate Side effects?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's been 5 days that I am taking Magnesium Citrate 500 mg in the evening for my anxiety and heart palpitations. Doctors have ruled out any serious disease. They say that it's just anxiety.

I just wanna ask does someone faced bloating after taking Mag Citrate?

I have few other symptoms also including muscle fatigue and breathlessness when I feel bloated. My BM is fine. I was feeling constipated before but It's fine now. Also my side ribs kinda feel sore when I stretch myself.

I've heard that it happens for first few days.

Anyone who has experienced it, please share your experience! This is driving me nuts!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have just restarted taking magnesium citrate. I take a slightly lower dose at 300mg at night. I do experience some gas but nothing that's painful or too troublesome. It's definitely helped me feel more settled at night.

I'm not sure what's considered a high dose but perhaps taking half your dose for a week or so to them build up to the 500 might help you tolerate the side effects?

I'm sure when I took this before I had much stronger side effects. Not sure why I'm tolerating it better this time. I have been on a gut healing diet for 5 months so maybe it's that?

Hopefully it'll settle soon.

• Posted

The recommended daily dose of magnesium is 320 mg and that includes the magnesium you get from dietary sources. Higher doses can be toxic.
  • Posted

The recommended daily dose of magnesium is 320 mg and that includes the magnesium you get from dietary sources. Higher doses can be toxic.
  • Posted

To add my last post - it might be an idea to do a search on magnesium and read about its role in your diet in a general authoritative website like the Mayo Clinic or webMD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.