Magnesium for anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I'm quite new on this forum as I'm normally over in the menopause one (given my age away now lol) I just wanted to say that I have suffered anxiety disorder and panic attacks as I have a form of agoraphobia, not to the extent I dont go out but I hate open spaces. I have lived with this since secondary school. Menopause had heightened everything and I had bad anxiety. I now take magnesium in a multi vit and it really has helped with the anxiety, it obviously hasnt taken away my phobia. I do recommend anyone suffering anxiety to consider magnesium. Avoid caffeine and get plenty of sleep is another tip!

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello pinkcatfairy. Are you on any prescribed medications for anxiety and panic

attacks? What's the make of your magnesium tablets?

Can you take them while you're on prescribed medication?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm post menopausal and have anxiety, panic

and depression. I'm on prescribed medication as well but am finding coping

difficult. Thank you.

• Posted

Good advice, thank you for sharing. I haven't tried Magnesium yet, although so many people I know take it for its soothing effects. My GP did suggest I take Melatonin tablets to help with my sleep, since at night my anxiety can keep me awake for hours. So far the Melatonin has helped and it only cost me a few dollars for a 3-month supply of it at the pharmacy. Give it a try if you have trouble sleeping at all. smile 

Peace xxx

• Posted

Thanks anxious Nick, I sleep quite well but my husband doesn't so will mention that to him x

• Posted

I have tried magnessium. Magnessium glycinate would be the kind to use for low side effects. But you would need to get the okay from your doctor.  They test for defieciencies but even if you test fine it gets depleted during an anxiety attack. Rather then pills, which made me nervous to use after a long discussion in this forum months ago I opted for magnessium flakes foot soaks. Not epsom salt that one uses a cheaper magnessium that effects the bowel. Magnessium flakes a half to one full cup in a basin and soak feet for a good thirty minutes. The water get cold after about ten minutes haha. That and high magnessium and potassium foods. You can get it from food. Avacadoes, kale, bananas..Pinterest has lists. Its calming but not a real cure. And you have to balance the pill with other vitamins its some ratio. The foot soaks just seemed more effective and easier to do.and your feet get soft. My doc said to use co enyzme q10 for everyone over 40 that i like with the one exception im not sure if it causes headaches. I guess you go with what works for you but be careful with suplliments. 
    • Posted

Dear Lisa

Yes we have to go with what works for each of us, I just take it in a multi vit tailored for my age group and it did take my anxiety away, I do eat bannas too x

• Posted

thank you for your advise at the point where i will try it all.lol Caffeine i do need to work on.
    • Posted

I know I still like my coffee but seem to be able to drink it again without making me too bad x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.