Magnesium for anxiety and heart racing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi has anyone tried magnesium for anxiety or heart racing and did it help? I'm thinking of seeing my GP about taking supplements to see if they help. I take propanolol too 10mg 4 times a day, does anyone take magnesium and propanolol together? And is it safe. Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, magnesium has been a real help to me, and I take propranolol too with no problems.  Just make sure you use the correct dose of magnesium, powdered version if at all possible [ I use Calm available on Amazon).  It works wonders for heart palpitations, worth trying?

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replys do they help with heart racing or just palpitations, idk if they are the same thing lol also, if I do take magnesium I want to buy from somewhere I trust, like boots or some pharmacy like that, and also what MG do people take of magnesium and propanolol thanks
  • Posted

Yes! I take the same magnesium supplements as Pam143 - the triple calm... I've been taking them for a couple of months and I really think they are helping. I still get the occasional palpitation here and there, but they are less frequent and not so noticeable. My cardiologist says they are PVC's and nothing to worry about... but they cause me lots of anxiety - so they do worry me. The magnesium seems to help... it's worth a try.

• Posted

Why moderated message, and is triple calm same as natural calm?
    • Posted

Yes I think they are the same... there are 3 types of magnesium in the triple calm supplement. Helps keep the heart rhythm. I bought some for my sister in law that has atrial fibrillation. Her cardiologist doesn't feel that it is very severe, so hasn't prescribed anything for it. She says that it doesn't happen to her very often. I have PVC's and I think the magnesium supplements are helping. My sister in law lives in another state, so I haven't spoken to her since I sent her a supply of them. I will let her use them for a month or so and find out how she is doing with them.

• Edited

I was taking 3x40mg propranalol for panic attacks/adrenaline dumps, also have flutters/skipped/extra beats at times. Ecgs all ok. Ive put over a stone in weight on so ive gradually cut the BBs to 40 mg daily and started taking 250 mg magnesium. Its just in pill form. Is it magnesium taurate i need? (Powder) Has anyone found it helps prevent/reduce anxiety attacks with adrenalin dump as well as heart flutters/palpitations? Seem to be doing ok on the combination of Mag and Propranalol but would prefer to get off BBs altogether to see if i can lose this extra stone. Also on sertraline for anxiety which contributed to weight gain
    • Posted

Hi Julie

hope you are doing well.

i had an episode of racing heart and missing heart beat in Novemeber 2020 and an awful feeling in my tummy it gives a feeling of something bad is going to happen. same happened again in January 2021

i broke a tooth and what i would call anxiety set in . happened again when resting in bed last night. The only thing different is Magnesium supplements. i have researched and it says too much calcium can make your hear work faster and cause palpatations and not enough can make your heart to slow. so im going to stop the magnesium. also my blood works show very low b12 so my doseage increased as low bitamin b12 causes missing heart beat and palpations and racing heart. hope you and everyone on this forum stay well. would be glad of an update. kind regards Jean

• Posted

I started using the triple calm magnesium about 2 months ago. This particular supplement as three different types of magnesium. Magnesium taurate, magnesium glycanate, and magnesium malate. The combination of the types of magnesium helps the rhythm of the heart - so they say. And so far, I think it has helped me with the palpitations. I don't have them as often or as strong. I will keep taking it for a while longer and see how it goes. I like the fact that it is a vitamin supplement. Worth a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.