Magnesium for Hemiplegic Migraine Prevention

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Just wanted to share my story in the hopes it may help other people too. I was diagnosed with Hemiplegic Migraine at age 11 with a strong family history on my father's side. As a female, my attacks were more frequent during puberty, but as an adult I was having about 2-3 per year. Each time I was out of action for around 3 days, the worst being the first 24 hours which involved loss of vision, speech, paralysis on one side of my body and of course, unilateral headache. I have tried multiple preventative medications over the years with no success and after a particularly nasty attack 2 years ago decided to try supplementing with magnesium after reading about it online. I have found a combination of supplements that have (so far) eliminated my migraines: 1600mg of Magnesium Citrate (form of magnesium most easily utilised by the body) and 300mg of co enzyme Q-10 daily (I split both supplements into 2 doses, morning and night) . If you research you will find there are several studies on Magnesium and Hemiplegic Migraine. This has worked for me and I really hope that others are able to reduce or eliminate their condition too. Obviously it is best to check with your doctor first before starting a new regime, particularly as this is a fairly high dose of magnesium.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.