Magnesium for migraine

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone

i suffer from migraines and cluster headaches.

ive been reading about magnesium helping to prevent migraines.

Does anyone know which magnesium to try? There is so many different types. I am currently trying Magnes citrate but read that other types of magnesium may be more effective.

Please help as I'm getting so down coping with theses constant headaches/migrants. I am also trying B2 (Ribofavin), many thanks Tracey x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Magnesium oil has worked really well for me, I would never stop using it. It has made my classical migraines, shorter in duration and severity. Certainly use it, it absorbs best through the skin, takes 29 mintes to absorb.
    • Posted

Hi Liza 

Thanks for that, not heard about the oil. Where do you get this oil from and where on you do you put it and do use just when having a attack or all the time? Many thanks x

• Posted

Hi Tracey, just checked my BMA migraine book and they say if you're taking magnesium in tablet form use magnesium citrate (they recommend 600mg daily) as magnesium sulphate, hydroxide and oxide have a laxative effect. My sister suffered with excruciating headaches and uncontrolled vomiting with her migraines but has been taking magnesium supplements for a while and says they've definitely reduced the number of attacks. Worth a try. Anne x

• Posted

Hi Anne.

Thanks for that! They are the ones I bought but only 160mg! I will have to triple up on them! Glad they work for your sister. Could do with the laxative effect tho as my painkiller I take for migraine (effervescent Solpadol) tend to really bung me up lol. Think I'll buy some more magnesium citrate but a stronger mg!

Thank you

• Posted

Hi traceyjane66

My daughter used the chelated form Magnesium.  She said it helped a lot.  It is noted to be an easily absorbed and does not work as a laxative.  

Could be a good idea to Google Magnesium (and migraines) to read about the 11 different types (including oil) and how they work.  If you wanted to know more about Chelated Magnesium it is sometimes listed on its own.

I don't know how old you are but although the chelated form of Magnesium was helpful to my daughter, what really changed her life was going off birth control pills. 99.9% turn around.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.