Magnesium for palpitations?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i often get palpitations bc of anxiety, i take small dosages of propranolol but they onoy work half the time and i dont really want to take medication, anyway everywhere i read online is magnesium is amazing and people have even come off beta blockers bc the magnesium works so good and even better than betablockers, has anyone tried this before and is it safe to take with propranolol?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

In general yes it's safe to take with other meds, it's cheap and easy and usually worth a try, and often helps, though it's not a cure, either.

It would probably have no effect on anxiety, but the palpitation/anxiety association is often dubious as well, it's hard to say which side it starts on.

So any of the available supplements is worth a try - or alternatively, a handful of almonds once a day!

• Posted

I would get your magnesium levels checked before taking it. It may help if your levels are low, but if they are normal then there is no point. You don't want to have too much magnesium. It may be a good idea to get your vitamin levels checked as well, vitamin d deficiency can affect your anxiety levels and it affects loads of people during the winter months. vitamin b12 and iron are good ones to get checked as well. How long have you suffered with anxiety and how long have you had the palpitations?

• Posted

Hi. I too suffer from frequent palpitations. I take Coreg Cr which is a beta blocker that compares to the propranolol that you take. In looking them both up and comparing them, it seems that they do pretty much the same thing. I have taken the Coreg for many years with no problem. Several months ago I started having the frequent palpitations. I have worn a holter monitor for an entire month. The result according to my cardiologist was PVC's which he said are common and harmless. Still it causes me a lot of anxiety when I get them. Doing some online research, I found that magnesium can help... so I started taking magnesium in various forms... and still I get the palpitations. The cardiologist told me that we could try different beta blockers - but I haven't pursued that option yet. I just hate fooling with new medications. you never know what effect they will have. My last visit with the cardiologist for an annual check up was last month, September. My EKG was perfect, blood pressure perfect. He said that my stress test from a year ago was excellent. He said that in 6 months we could do another stress test.... or if I wanted to ware the holter monitor again, he would arrange it. I hate doing it at this point in time due to holidays coming up. I wore the monitor last year for the 30 days that included Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years eve. and you know how much fun that was. Taking the thing off to shower only. Sometimes I feel like they are driving me crazy. Then they stop for a few days and I think all is good. Then they start up again. I just can't seem to figure out what triggers them. I do suspect something with food. I don't drink alcohol - and I used to have the occasional glass of wine, but now nothing. I have one cup of coffee in the morning, but that is about it for caffeine. There have been times when I have eaten at a new restaurant and several hours later, I have very bad palpitations. I suspect MSG... and I have read that it may be a cause. Have you heard of something called castrocardiac syndrom? I sometimes suspect that as a possible cause, but that condition is rare. There does seem to be a relation between the stomach, the esophagus and the heart. Today seems to be a better day with few to no palpitations, but that can change anytime. I wish someone could find a remedy for these terrible things. And when I read about anxiety as a cause of them, what about the anxiety that the palpitations cause? They come out of nowhere, then the anxiety comes in. I sometimes get them in the middle of the night - waking up with them. I don't think I have anxiety in my sleep. I hope we can all compare notes and maybe we can find a solution that works for all of us. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.