Magnesium makes me tired

Posted , 8 users are following.

for the last 5 days I have been taking 300mg of magnesium citrate and I have found that is has made me really tired! I find myself having to sleep a lot, the past 2 days I have slept for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and slept ok at night. Has anyone else found this to be a problem with magnesium?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth, Magnesium is known as a sleep aid and muscle relaxant so take it at night and have a lovely slumber. Or cut down on the amount if it's a problem during the day. best wishes,

• Posted

Hi Ruth - yep, Mags Citrate will do that! My partner had to drop from 400mg to 200mg as it cured her perimenopause insomnia so much that she couldn't stay awake! I take 400mg a day for anxiety and I'm often so sleepy - but the benefits far outweigh the sometimes near-zombie state.  Finding an appropriate time of day to take it helps 😀 Has it helped with any of your symptoms?

• Posted

So happy to read the replies here. Suffering at moment for 2 and 1/2 weeks with peri insomnia   And anxiety during day.  Ugh so absolutely horrible.  I think I will try tonight the mag for sleep.  I wonder if perhaps I should also try for anxiety during day.  As I am trying antidepressants and not crazy about side effects.   Thank you for posting.   Hope we all get through this as quick as possible and return to Normal 
  • Posted

I take it before I go to bed at night as a sleep aid, so having it make me sleep is a good thing.
  • Posted

Hi Ruth.  Yep I couldn't take it because it caused my blood pressure to drop too much. However at the time, I was having trouble keeping weight on and was underweight.  Now that I have put some weight on it may be different.

• Posted

Hi ladies.  I too suffer from insomnia but my dr refuses to give me anything for it.  I am so desperate to sleep that I'm prepared to try anything.  I get roughly 2 hrs sleep and then I toss and turn the rest of the night.  How much magnesium should I be taking and where can I buy a good brand?  I've heard of fake tablets on the internet so I'm a bit weary of buying on line.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hi faz. I bought magnesium oil and just rubbed it on my lower legs.
    • Posted

Thank you.  I will give it a go.  Kind regards.
  • Posted

Hi,

Can I be ignorant and ask why you take magnesium?  I am 48 and still have regular periods, however  4 months ago I has spotting from the time I ovulated until my period started...I had my bloods check, pap test and a scan, everything was fine, although my iron was very, very low.  The spotting lasted two months then just stopped.  I had no spotting for two months then last week after a vigorous workout I had spotting again, this time only lasting one day.  Went back to the doctors and he said he wants me to see a Gyno....so with my anxiety levels at  fever pitch anyway this has sent me over the edge.  

I am trying to take supplements that will support me, I already take citalopram for anxiety and my doctors has given me diamazepan to take at night if I am struggling to sleep, but  I would like to take supplements too if they will help...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.