Magnesium making adrenal fatigue worse

Posted , 3 users are following.

I heard that magnesium should make you feel good but after 8 months of supplementing I feel even more tired and my blood pressure is constantly low now, dizzy. I heard it should be avoided if you have low cortisol, which I do.

I've been craving salt and somehow it makes me feel better. Has anyone have similiar experience?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I never heard that. I have magnesium everyday and my blood pressure is not high nor I am dizzy or have any symptoms I can link with magnesium. I would not dream to give it up... I do not crave for salt but I read it helps the adrenals. The thing is that I do not know how much to take. Last Summer here in Australia is Autumn now, I was feeling run down and it seemed to me that after drinking  a glass of water with 1/4 of a table spoon of salt I was feeling better. Are you hypothyroid?
    • Posted

No I'm not hypothyroid but have low cortisol. I guess magnesium lowers cortisol and long use of magnesium will lower sodium. Im speculating, now I stopped supplementing with magnesuim and trying to bring sodium up. I was only taking around 400mg.

• Posted

Drinking water with Himalayan or Sea Salt increases de sodium in the blood. I'll go to my medical  info pages and query the magnesium/cortisol/sodium thing.

• Posted

these may be symptoms of

primary Addison's disease

Also, Are you losing weight

not hungry, nauseous, dizzy upon standing

• Posted

I keep thinking if I had Addison but my endo said my cortisol at 14 in the morning is fine. She said if I did have Addison I be dead with 0 cortisol.

I lost 17lbs since being sick but I get hungry every 2-3 hours, dizzy at times when bp drops and standing for 5 minutes or longer. Dr. Thinks it's chronic fatigue. I hate to be misdiagnosed.

• Posted

you need to switch endo immediately

maybe even go to emergency clinic or hospital

cortisol at 14nmol is not okay

I live in Canada so not sure if you use nmol

from everything youve described you

most likely have Addison's

Addison's with low blood pressure

is an emergency

• Posted

Yes, go to the emergency department at the hospital. It takes time to change doctor and be checked there. For the cortisol to be low in the morning is a sign of adrenal insufficiency/Addison's. In the morning cortisol has to higher than during the day or at night. I do not know what 14 is... but if it is low compared to the other readings, then you know you need help a.s.a.p.

• Posted

from your symptoms, it definitely sounds like

Addison's disease

you may need a medic alert bracelet

for your adrenal insufficiency

in case you have an adrenal crisis

• Posted

I am not hungry, but I can cook nice healthy gluten free  meals and eat with my partner (I do not know how much I'd eat if I was on my own...) I am not nauseous, and I am not dizzy upon standing. My cortisol levels were low in March 2015;  then I was not taking hc. In June 2015 I had the third pneumonia in 4 years. Since then I take care of myself medically and I haven't had a pneumonia again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.