Main problem is diastolic always diastolic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Have been on amlodipine and losartan for about 4 years. I'm 57 and still working. My job is "fairly" stressful. I exercise regularly, made significant dietary changes a year ago and very slightly overweight.

I monitor during day in work and at home in evening. My systolic is generally between 130-145 but diastolic rarely below 88. It doesn't go much beyond 95 and mostly around 90. Is there anything I can do to rectify or is the resting pressure much harder to change at my age?

Many thanks

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks again. Forgot to add that also tried drinking tart montmerency cherry juice and eating lots of beetroot (nitrate) but not confident that it's making a difference 😡

• Posted

Someone told me krill oil helped her. If it doesn't help your blood pressure. It's still good food

• Posted

steve27598..I think a lot of this juice stuff is nothing but smoke/mirrors.

Truly, I believe the spiking of bp, & it's not that bad by the way...is caused by stress because you stated earlier that when you get home, the numbers go down. 

If someone wanted to travel, & a lot of us do, how could they possibly take cherry juice, beetroot, etc.etc.with them? Places likely wouldn't allow it through the borders, or the restaurants wouldn't carry them.

The best person to judge as to whether or not your bp is ok is your Dr. 

• Posted

This is getting ridiculous now. Had a particularly tiring day (lots of meetings) in work and monitored frequently throughout. Predictably high on diastolic again. We are talking 143/96, 147/98, 153/92, 139/87, 146/95. I know the systolic not great but that always drops when back home. As these readings are taken in my car it makes one wonder how high they go during work itself?? It's all very well the meds working rest of time but concerned about risks and arterial damage caused while in work.

I'm waiting now for the diastolic to exceed the systolic!!

Thanks

• Posted

steve27598..why on earth would you be taking your bp readings in the car!!????? You likely leave work after a particularly tiring stressful day..you get in the car, but in the back of your mind you're wondering about the bp readings. Big mistake,Buddy!!!!! You are NOT rested enough to be doing the readings. 

You said about the long day & monitored throughout. Were you doing your readings at breaks?? Stop that!...You are obsessing about these readings. Do yourself a huge favour, & do NOT take readings when you're stressed. Wait 'til your home & relaxed. If you find yourself becoming anxious as you sit down to do the readings...forget about it.

Also, why not go to the Dr. & discuss this. You're going to drive yourself nuts if you don't do something.

• Posted

Appreciate comments and don't do this every day😀 Just every now and then during week. You are right about being "too stressed" etc.. but then again, isn't it important to at least know how high it goes at times as not good even if it drops afterwards. I remember Doc giving me one of these gizmos which discretely monitor every hour during day. Some of those were ridiculous 190/110 etc. Then I realised that was precisely when under most stress on that particular day.

Realize no point in obsessing but think this issue if raised pressure in work situation is bit of an elephant in the room, so to speak.

Thanks again for your interest.

• Posted

With your blood pressure going so high, perhaps you should consider a different medicine or medicines .and do get advice from other doctors. Is there any way you can make your job less stressful e.g . Better preparation. It doesn't take long to know if a new medicine is working

• Posted

Sorry was careful to point out that these readings were "in work". In that context and, especially as people don't measure in work, I don't know how other folk would possibly know what their readings would be in that situation???

• Posted

steve27598...I honestly think you're stressing far too much. Your mind seems to always be on what the bp readings might be, etc. People who are in meetings, etc.etc. hardly think of the bp readings they may have because they're focusing on the topic at hand. 

Truly, I think you should consult your doctor. We're here to help, make suggestions, but we're not doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.