Maintenance of PTS after DVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello DVT'ers

?This is my first question/venture onto this forum - I'd be most grateful if you could comment or maybe refer me to an existing topic chain that already covers this.

Thanks.

DVT diagnosed May 2017; subcutaneous Heparin for a while and now trying to keep INR to about 2.5 using warfarin alone. Have numb/pins-needles at sole of foot and painful at end of day. Wear support leggings every day. Have been referred to see a vascular consultant in a few weeks to determine if there are any interventions that might make foot and leg more comfortable.

Questions:

?* I do some exercise every day but not sure how much to do - can I do 2-3 mile walks every day without making things worse?

* Getting some capillary bleeds in the skin on top of foot and on the calf and some discolouration. Will this continue to develop and become worse as an inevitable outcome of PTS?

?* Has anyone had any surgical intervention (stents etc) to ease comfort of numb/sore foot?

?* Developing a pain that is similar to groin strain - not sure if this is related or not? Do DVT patients get problems with vessels in that area or the pelvic region?

?Sorry if these questions are "old hat" to you followers of this discussion chain. I don't want to waste your time, but thought this might be a good place to start my searches.

Thanks

?Big D

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with calf DVT in August. Was on Xarelto for 3 months and then discontinued. I have had ongoing groin pain that radiates into my leg. Not sure if it is related or not. Doctors think it’s nerve pain but can’t really seem to say for sure where the pain is coming from. The pain started after I started treatment for my DVT so at first I thought it might be a side effect of the meds but now that I am off the meds I am still having pain. 
  • Posted

Hi  Army, Sorry to hear about the DVT and PTS. The forum notifications on DVT, Post Thrombotic Syndrome PTS, and May Thurner Syndrome, MTS , are still active as far as I am concerned. I have had a problem with my password so I have started a new entry on the forum. I think it is worth reading what I have written on here, as Sheila, 91262, as the history is certainly relevant. 

My son had 3 stents totalling 32 cms and they have been very successful. He was treated by Mr Stephen Black at Guy's & St Thomas' Hosp London. He is World renowned Consultant for Vascular surgery. You can search his research on trials relating to PTS and MTS. MTS was unknown to us until my son was referred to G&St T, he was scanned and this showed up. He was advised to exercise and it would do no harm. He went to his GP and was measured for a compression stocking and wore it all day to reduce the swelling and pain. He elevated his leg at night. This worked well for him and he was able to exercise more as time went by. Swimming and walking helped a lot.  He developed some collateral veins in his leg which increased his blood flow so his swelling reduced. You can also search Mr Blacks talks on youtube especially his ones to Thrombosis UK. He explains the problems and the stenting trials. The Thrombosis UK facebook pages also have people discussing their experiences. Anymore questions I can help with you can contact me. Sheila.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.