Maintenance/Recovery Premise from Lichen Sclerosus

Posted , 59 users are following.

Okay, GALS and guys,

Here is my two-week best literature search and analysis for long-term maintenance/recovery from Lichen Sclerosus, a now proven autoimmune disease.  I’m sure others could add to this, and many of you have more years experience with dealing with it.   I’ve also made up a daily protocol sheet of that I’ve put up on the frig. I’ll share in the next couple days for anyone who is interested. Hope this all helps someone.  Take what feels right for you and leave the rest.   You all have been my inspiration, some going back years on this site who don’t post here anymore, but they left a trail to follow.  (I have the links list to share with anyone who wants to know where the validation for each item comes from.) There are 45 items. 

1.    The cause of Lichen sclerosus is defined as a “mystery” on many medical websites, with the note that it “may” be associated with “overactive immune system” and “hormonal imbalances.

2.    Lichen sclerosus has been confirmed to be an autoimmune disease as of March 2012 as reported in a National Institute of Health pubmed document. (1)

3.    LS primarily affects post-menopausal women, but also men, young women and children as well. (2)

4.    Nearly 75% of the 24 million Americans suffering from autoimmune disease are women, according to the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA). (20)

5.    Sex hormones seem to be involved since many autoimmune diseases fluctuate with hormonal changes. The sex hormone that is commonly low in such women is DHEA. DHEA is produced by the adrenal glands, the reproductive organs and the brain. It is a natural steroid. (20)

6.    Women frequently have low DHEA which reduces further with aging.  But why, asks the physicians at Root Cause Medical Center in California? Frequently it is from overstressed adrenal glands “stealing” it from making sex hormones to make “anti-stress hormones” instead. (20)

7.    Adrenal stress from poor absorption of nutrients, unstable blood sugar and the presence of infections are common reasons for this “pregnenelone steal.’ – which  are all symptoms also seen with gluten intolerant patients. (20)

8.    Lichen sclerosus (LS) is strongly associated with autoimmune disorders, particularly thyroid disease, in almost 30% of patients. (3) (4)

9.    A strong association with autoimmune disorders has been reported in 21.5%–34% patients and up to 74% of patients found to have autoantibodies (5)

10.  Thyroid issues (hormones) are epidemic yet are often unrecognized and undiagnosed by the public or medical communities. (5)

11.  Most doctors who “suspect something” only order the TSH and T4 tests (6)

12.  The Thyroperoxidase (TPO) Antibodies test should be part of the standard testing. (6)

13.  The implication is that many sufferers of an autoimmune disease may have no idea that they may also have a low thyroid condition.

14.  Autoimmune disorders such as Lichen Sclerosus, Chrone’s Disease, Thyroid disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, inflammatory bowel disease, cause inflammation. (7)

15.  Current standard protocol for LS is the use of corticosteroids that reduce symptoms but not the cause(s). (8)

16.  Long term use of steroids on delicate skin causes thinning. Postmenopausal women already experience age-related thinning skin.

17.  Vitamin  D Deficiency Linked to Autoimmune Diseases.  Dr. Gerry Schwalfenberg of the University of Alberta published the first case report of a woman with a treacherous autoimmune disorder, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura or ITP, that vitamin D apparently cured.  More than 160 known autoimmune disorders exist in humans and more than 5% of the population has at least one of the disorders. They occur when your immune system malfunctions and attacks your own organs or tissues. No known cure exists. In the journal of Public Health, 2012, Dr. Schwalfenberg reviewed an extensive number of newer medical papers and concluded that, “Evidence that autoimmune disease may be a vitamin D-sensitive disease comes from many sources.” (21)   (22)

18.  Vitamin D acts like a hormone and is an anti-inflammatory. (9)

19.  The vitamin D endocrine system (VDES) regulates aging in many tissues, including skin. (10)

20.  Deficiency of Vitamin D globally is at epidemic proportions. (11)

21.  *If we have thyroid antibodies (autoimmune) in our system, our skin will not absorb the vitamin D from the sun as it does for other people… no matter where we live! (6)

22.  The highest levels of inflammatory inhibition occurs at 50 ng/ml up to 80 ng/ml Vitamin D (12)

23.  i.e. if your doc says your D levels are fine at 30 ng/ml that’s too low to cure LS ( or any autoimmune situation)  (6) (8)

24.  There are no adverse effects of Vitamin D supplementation less than  ~ 80 ng/ml.

25.  Cofactors for Vitamin D include Magnesium;  Omega-3; Boron; K2; Cofactors need to be adjusted when taking a lot of vitamin D for more than a month 

"A lot" is more than 4,000 IU Vitamin D daily (average)  There is virtually no agreement as how much of each cofactor is needed vs vitamin D level. The first three cofactors have, like vitamin D, greatly decreased in the human diet in the past 50 years  (13)

26.  Anti-inflammation diet and supplements will help correct the imbalances.

27.  Magnesium and potassium are also strong anti-inflammatories.

28.  Impaired liver function is associated with autoimmune diseases such as LS.  (18)

29.  The liver functions to filter unwanted toxins from the blood coming from the digestive tract, before passing it to the rest of the body. The liver also detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs. (16)

30.  An herbal liver cleanse (Milk Thistle) and Candida clearing diet will aid in healing. (18) (29)

31.  The lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs that help rid the body of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. Its primary function is to transport lymph, a fluid containing infection-fighting white blood cells, throughout the body.

32.  The lymphatic system plays an integral role in the immune functions of the body. It is the first line of defense against disease.  Skin problems such as dry or itchy skin are evidence that our lymph system is clogged. (17)

33.  Rebounding is one of the easiest ways to pump the lymph.

34.  Research confirms that increased intestinal permeability, known as leaky gut syndrome may be an essential first step toward autoimmune disease. (19)

35.  The fourth most prevalent mineral in the body, MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane),also known as dimethyl sulfone or DMSO2, is the oxidized form of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), an organic sulfur compound from lignan. It’s an organic sulfur-containing compound that’s used to improve immune function, lower inflammation and help restore healthy bodily tissue. MSM is also a popular joint health supplement.  (25)

36.  MSM / organic sulfur works like chelation therapy does, because of its molecular structure it readily bonds with most other chemicals; and thus removes heavy metals and other toxins from the body. as a chelating agent, it should be taken at least 30 minutes before or after any medication or vitamin/mineral/supplement, otherwise, it will simply absorb your medication / vitamin / mineral and you will not benefit much from the MSM or your medication / supplements (26)

37.  Glutathione and its related enzymes are our most prolific antioxidants because, in addition to directly scavenging free radicals, they also reactivate other antioxidants. It also plays crucial roles in the immune response, DNA repair, and the detoxification process that neutralizes drugs, chemicals, radiation, metabolic wastes, and other toxins and carcinogens. (23)

38.  Research suggests that the “sleep hormone” melatonin boosts glutathione status, by stimulating production of the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase. (23)

39.   The National Institutes Of Health pubmed article of August 2015 states that The Trace mineral Boron  has been proven to be an important trace mineral because it (1) is essential for the growth and maintenance of bone; (2) greatly improves wound healing; (3) beneficially impacts the body's use of estrogen, testosterone, and vitamin D; (4) boosts magnesium absorption; (5) reduces levels of inflammatory biomarkers, such as high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) and tumor necrosis factor a (TNF-a); (6) raises levels of antioxidant enzymes, such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, and glutathione peroxidase;  (24)

40.  Borax is an inexpensive method of getting boron. It is used worldwide in many various industrial applications. It also has a long history of being used as a folk remedy, though it has not been through the rigorous FDA approval process.  Though it is probably safe for ingestion, those people who would like to get the known health benefits without worry can obtain the same level of suggested 3 mg daily use by taking Concentrace Trace Mineral Drops which has 1 mg per serving and take 3X per day. 

41.  Colloidal silver.  According to Dr. Robert O. Becker, M.D., the noted surgeon from Syracuse Medical University, surgical wounds treated with silver heal faster and better than those not treated with silver.  He writes: “Healing rates in wounds are significantly accelerated and are accompanied by enhanced healing of the bone, soft tissue, nerve, and skin, with replacement of missing tissues by histologically normal tissues.  The responsible agent for these cellular effects is believed to be the electrically generated silver ion."  (27)

42.  Colloidal Silver.  Robert O. Becker, MD, says that colloidal silver stimulates healing in the skin and other soft tissues. (28)

43.  Soft Tissues of the human body include tendons, ligaments, fascia, skin, fibrous tissues, fat, and synovial membranes (which are connective tissue), and muscles, nerves and blood vessels (which are not connective tissue)

44.  The Labia are made up of fat, and skin of course.  

45.  Research has shown that castor oil treats skin infections & lowers constipation, but more importantly it supports the immune system. Castor oil is capable of increasing white blood cells and the count of T-11 cells (a type of special white blood cells that act like antibodies) produced within the body’s lymphocytes that help kill viruses, fungi, bacteria and cancer cells.  Castor oil has been prized for its skin-healing, digestive-soothing, antibacterial properties and is commonly used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine practices. (30)

20 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you so much for all our hard work! It’s much appreciated! 🙂

• Posted

*your hard work! 😄

• Posted

Hi Nancy thank you for taking time to post this info! 

I’m taking Magnesium Glycinate (the Rolls Royce of Magnesium I’m informed!) also  Vit D but was thinking I need to add Boron to that. How much of that do we need to take?

• Posted

HI Debbie, 

well I watched a youtube video from someone who was calculating the borax suggestion from Dr. Walter Last into the equivalent in milligrams that are sold in health food stores at 3 mg.  The ConcenTrace Mineral Drops that I had already been taking for general health has 1 mg per serving, so i would assume we could take 3X a day to get that level. WHICH by the way I hadn't thought about when making my list... that product also has 250 mg of magnesium per 1/2 teaspoon serving.. SO, wow there is another of the also required co-factors for Vitamin D taken care of in one supplement.   

• Posted

Thank you so much, Nancy!! This is a wealth of important information, and motivation for us to assertively take charge of our own health. 
    • Posted

YES! I love your phrase, Anna... "to ASSERTIVELY take charge of our own health".. and LIFE - smiles. 

• Posted

Wow, thank you for all this information.  I'm even more confused on what I should do without proper testing or analysis of how much I am deficient in.   

How are you now?  How do you manage your LS?

I use castor oil everyday but don't think it helps the healing, only the itching.  Can it also be drunk? I have an open wound that won't heal and has an odor.  Not sure what to do about that.  Managing LS has become an obsession and frustration.  

Thank you for all your research.  I guess we are all on our own in figuring it out and now have your input which is going to be most helpful.

• Posted

OH Susan, so sorry about the open wound with odor.  You all know I'm not a medical practitioner - just a totally nerdy researcher who won't give up on curing this abomination- who learned long ago (age 72 now) to not take No for an answer. 

So, what i do know fro earlier general  reading, Susan is that COLLOIDAL SILVER has been used for open wounds - a long history of it.  Both internally and externally, it is an antibacterial and antiseptic etc.. the odor is from a bacterial infection.   oh.. and I forgot to put acupuncture on that first list.. probably because I haven't had time to learn HOW acupuncture works. BUT I don't dispute that it does. I think I mentioned a few weeks ago when i joined that it was the D that stopped the itch but a couple weeks later I think it was the acupuncture treatment that closed up the open sores. of course it might have been both.  GRIN. and LS and I don't have time to wait for some GD double blind study to tell me if something is "valid", right?  So you might try that as well as the colloidal silver.  I've also been trying to figure out the best proportions of mixing colloidal silver in with the castor oil to apply it in such "close quarters" and have it stay there to do it's job externally.   

• Posted

Hi susan43705

So sorry to hear of your open wound :-( 

In days gone by when nursing, we sometimes used honey on open sores. Might help on its own or in conjunction with something else. Best of luck :-)

• Posted

I"m 72 as well. I've been reading up on colloidal silver and it sounds dangerous.  Maybe I looked up the wrong information. I'll do a bit more research.  I feel like I am playing beat the clock to keep myself from fusing.   

I am so glad I found this website to share how I feel and am progressing as well as hearing from so many others who also have LS.  It's comforting to know I am not alone.  

• Posted

I also have concerns about colloidal silver. I believe it doesn't leave the body so if you take the wrong dose it can have permanent consequences. I know people who take it, and swear by it, but I wouldn't strust that any of them have discriminatory research skills. I'd say treat this item with caution.

My rule of thumb is not to believe anything 'discovered' and validated by only one doctor/researcher/scientist. Especially if they are selling that item. Research can be tweaked to produce the result you want to find, it all depends what questions you ask and how you ask them. Look for independent validation from several sources, and you may have to follow a few links to ensure that they are genuinely independent. We all want to find a cure, but there are sharks out there, and desperate people are easy prey. Please be careful.

• Posted

Thank you Susan.  That's an interesting remedy, honey. I'll try anything, including acupuncture that Nancy KB recommended.

Thank goodness for you all!

• Posted

Thank you so much Nancy. I’ll check on that thyroid testing for TPO.  Also can you elaborate on No. 33 for me please?

kind regards 

Deb

• Posted

Ah, yes! Deb, so do you know what a rebounder is? or maybe  you know it by the term, mini-trampoline?

Dr. Lewis Bissell, MD, a family friend, told me about this years ago before it was more common knowledge. He was always researching the edge sciences.  He determined that 15 minutes on a rebounder would keep us all healthy for life. The premise, if I remember correctly, is that our lymph system Is defacto the immune cleansing system. But nature didn't not see fit to create a separate beating pump/heart to move this lymph around everywhere like the blood gets moved. WE have to do our own anti-gravity thing by MOVING in the world to do that for the lymph system.  jumpng up and down moves the lymph.. so does many other moving actions... grin - I'm not partial to playing football or even regular running, so I brought up this fun way to get our "juices" flowing that fits right in the home and in the winter months.  Even if we don't have the budget for a min-tramp, I was once at a workshop where the chinese QIGONG presenter had us all stand up and simply BOUNCE on our balls of our feet, not even lifting off the floor if we didn't want to or feel secure. Master Wu said that we should do this every day until we find that we can't stop smiling. what a wonderful daily practice! wow thanks for reminding me of that. I challenge you to try it.. I bet you can't go 3 minutes without breaking into a smile. OXYGEN! Lymph! whatever else!  

• Posted

hahaha hehehe, Deb

oh goody, you just made me get out of my computer chair and stand up and do a round. 

my new goal is to do that every 20 minutes ( one minute or so). I "LIVE" on my computer, so I really need more than just a 15 minutess walk with my dog once a day-  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.