Major allergies issue - I can't eat properly

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had this problem for about 2-3 months. My allergies have progressed so bad, that I can't even eat without it messing with me. My nose runs while I chew, I have to constantly clear my throat, blow my nose, during eating. Congestion gets worse during eating. One time I got food stuck in my throat, had to call 911...I got it out before they arrived but it made me panic immensely. I am currently on flonase and albuterol, I started the albuterol 2-3 months ago when this started, when the wheezing/trouble breathing began. I neti pot/use simply saline and gargle salt water as well. These things mildly and temporarily help...but allergies persist...24/7. Allergies became worse in 2015, and progressed into this. I have seen a doctor, she apparently thinks its terrible allergies. I had x-rays done of my sinuses and chest, she said everything looks normal, said my throat looks good. I can't go to an allergist because well, I have panic disorder with agoraphobia. (the doctor i mentioned came to my house, and said her place doesn't have allergists that make house calls) So basically - what the hell so I do with horrible postnasal drop, congestion, trouble breathing...all while eating, and something that won't interact with flonase and albuterol? The doctor prescribed me singulair, but I will not take it since the reviews I've read, many say it makes them more anxious and/or depressed, and there is no way I can deal with those added symptoms at this time. I'm at my wits end. I'm afraid this will kill me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

(Idk how to edit this into the post) another issue is that I have mucus/phlegm in the back of my throat most of the time, and it really bothers and worries me. I Also I have lost 15 lbs since this began, due to not being able to eat as much or as often as normal.

• Posted

I think you get something off your doctor to help with your anxiety and go and get tests done you should also keep a food diary which may show what is causing the reaction,restricting yourself to certain food groups and trying to work out what the problem is.

• Posted

If you are unable to get out to the doctor, I would try to narrow it down at home. See what happens when you eat gluten, then avoid gluten and see how your allergies are with that meal. Then dairy and so on. You may have food allergies that you are reacting to. I know if I eat bread then I have excess mucus and have to clear my throat a lot. Best of Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.