Major Joint issues and Rhumatologist dismissed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm posting for my husband. He is 40. He has had major joint issues for about 10 years. I have pressured him into going to the doctors many times. The first doctor many years ago wanted to do exploratory knee surgery, even though the pain comes in all different joints. Last year all his fingers in his hands were swollen and he couldn't bend them. I went to his primary with him and she referred is to a Rhumatologist who has great reviews on all the medical review sites. I went to that appointment too. He reviewed my husbands recent blood tests and ordered some more and told him that he couldn't help him. He said it's not arthritis. I then asked him what other type of Doctor we could see to possibly diagnose what is going on with him and he said that he is the end of the line. My husband shoveled the driveway on Monday night. It was really heavy wet snow. His right leg hurt on Tuesday. He was limping on Wednesday. And now it's Thursday and he can barely walk on it. It's his ankle and knee. It was al pay impossible for him to put his pants on this morning. Anyone have any suggestions of where we should go from here?

1 like, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Also of note is that while his RF is less than A15 which makes it normal is that is Uric acid, CRP and ESR results are all elevated.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Just because your husband's RF was within normal limits it doesn't mean he hasn't got RA. His other tests are raised. Are you in the UK? I get the impression from your post that you aren't but in the UK I would advise a 2nd opinion because our wonderful NHS allows this.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sure sounds like arthritis to me.   My bloodwork didn't show it at first either but now I have been diagnosed with both psoriatic arthritis and RA.   Find another rheumatologist!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    I would definitely check with another Rheumotologist. If the one you had did all the necessary blood testing, your husband would have a complete printout of each test done and a note on each as to whether THAT specific marker was present for each type of arthritis tested.

    There are literally hundreds of blood tests possible to check for all kinds of issues. If the doctor doesn't order SPECIFIC ones, the information will not come because it was NOT tested.

    My testing was done a couple years ago. I was referred by my GP to my Rheumotologist who took my history and then ordered blood testing. I believe there were 12 little vials filled with my blood and 12 specific tests done. They are looking for markers in the blood which tell you if you have that type of arthritis. For me, all types of arthritis associated with the immune system were ruled out. That left Osteoarthritis which is a wear-and-tear type with specific symptoms. From there I was given X-RAYS and my BONE-ON-BONE condition in my knees (my biggest complaint) was indicative of Osteoarthritis. I have family members who also have this, so symptoms, X-RAYS, and the blood testing eliminating other types of arthritis clinched the diagnosis.

    Last June and last October I had TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENTS. That solved my knee pain, and I can walk and stand as well as I USED to before all my troubles started about eight years ago.

    I have additional joints that hurt which is indicative of Osteoarthritis. None are as bad as my knees were, so I just take Ibuprofen as needed.

    I encourage you to see another Rheumotologist. Every disease and each arthritis has different treatment. Getting the proper treatment for the specific problem can mean a much better and pain-free life.

    I fight the battle of having a reluctant husband, too! Mine suffers from diabetes and pheriphial neuropathy which often comes with diabetes. It is a huge uphill battle to get him to seek help. So many of the medications for Diabetes have been either taken off the market or cause strange side effects. He currently is taking the supplement route and has lost weight. It is a challenge!

    Please let us know how things go for your husband. It is definitely worth getting another opinion or several more!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sounds like you live in the USA, I wonder where many of your doctors trained and  you pay well over the odds for it. I worked in the US for many years so have the benefit of comparision with the UK system. 

    Here in the UK your GP (family doctor) would usually refer you to an orthapedic surgeon. That is where I went. After many years of monitoring I have had a couple of finger joint replacements. Don't leave it too long because there is a window when they can do something. 

    I would go see a surgeon now. What is the point of taking bloods? you need xrays done to see the state of the joints. 


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I live in the USA and have a wonderful rheumaologist.   I take Humira and Prednisone.   I still have flares but with an occasional higher tapering dose of prednisone I am able to keep moving and it takes care of the swelling and pain.  So many new biologics out there that can really change your life
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up