Major stiffness still after 12 weeks post-op

Posted , 6 users are following.

had bunion surgery more than 12 weeks ago...two pins put in my big toe and one in my second toe..still have tremendous stiffness in my big toe...does anyone else feel like there is a huge pole stuck in their foot?  and anyone still have pain at night and trouble sleeping AND waking up is the worst...those first few steps in the morning...YOUCH!

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm 7 weeks and just one pin in big toe...that for some reason has shifted so i was told that is what's causing the stiffness...Dr. said that if it doesn't get better they will have to go in and remove the pin...which I don't want to do. But I have the same issues..hope it get's better for you.

• Posted

hope it gets better for you...I had a CT scan on the toe a few days ago and Doctor says everything is A OK...it sure doesn't feel that way...maybe I need another opinion

Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi Redstone

i had stiffness in the big toe for at least that long. I went to physio and she forced me into particular exercises eg put a little towel cloth under foot and try to scrunch it up. It took a while but it has all worked.

• Posted

in my personal expereince (with any orthopeadic surgery and/or arthritis) it is better to move (wiggle in every possible direction and way) the feet before taking the first steps in the morning 
  • Posted

Hi

I am 13 and a half weeks post surgery and at 6 weeks when the special shoe came off, my big toes were extremely stiff and were sticking up. My surgeon thought that this was because they had gone into spasm. I couldn't get any shoes in because if the swelling but also because the toes would not bend at all which you have to do to get shoes on.

I had some physio which was mainly bending toes, sitting with them on the floor and raising back part if the foot, wiggling toes and trying to scrunch the towel ( which I am still not very good at). Also, calf stretches as this helps with the way that you walk and so with your foot. I can now move my toes much better now. Started rolling a tennis ball under my foot last week and that has helped to 'soften' my feet and they feel much more normal. I am very stiff all around my foot when I first stand up and especially in the morning for those first few steps. This seems to have helped a lot.

I am going back to consultant tomorrow. Toes are still raised but are not so bad. Still getting some pain in ine foot so will be mentioning this to him also. Good luck with your recovery. Hope that this has helped

• Posted

Hi Karen

this is a great advise to anyone post foot surgery.  I am 5 weeks into recovery and I often take the boot off when I am on my bed and wiggle the toes (as much as I can which is not much at the moment) and move my foot up and down.  I am a great believer in physio which really is just movement and I am pretty certain that few weeks post any surgery a gentle movement as long as there is no weight bearing is fine.  It does cause some increase of pain for a while but if done gently and gradually it settles pretty well.   I guess it has to be dictated by the level of pain as if there is a lot of pain it would be clear indication not to exercise yet.  My physhio is of the opinion that people who think that they should not move because it is hard and a little painful take much longer to recover and I personally think he is right.  Keep in mind though if your doctor is against any exercises you need to follow his/her advise.

• Posted

Absolutely! It is always important to bear in mind that different consultants have different opinions as to what they want you to do just as there are many different forms if surgery. Always best to check with your hospital. I discovered this when I was reading on this forum about wearing splints in big toe. I asked my surgeon about this and he said that he disagreed with it. He said that au wear toe spacers. Different opinions following different procedures!

It is important to keep moving after the surgery. I did a lot of circling and stretching of ankle and tightening and relaxing calf and thigh muscles in the jest couple if weeks but no toe wiggling. Still got a DVT. Just one of those things but could have been worse if hadn't done exercise.

• Posted

Hi Red. Yes mine feels the same but i was told that I DO have a metal plate in so that makes sense. I can move my other toes but my second one has a little movement and the big toe has hardly any at all and no bending what so ever. Had to do a bit of walking today, Docs, Chemist and shops but sore tonight so got it up again.  I have trouble getting to sleep, then once I get asleep I keep waking up, not sure if it's the pain and frustration of limited movement and my own impatience because I am not as independant as I usually am and it's driving me mad TBH. I curse arthritis, osteoporosis, joint and age......... apart from that I'm ok lol
  • Posted

Hello Bohemia

the more we curse what ever is wrong with our body the more importance we give to those thoughts.  We in fact fuse with them in our minds and create strong negative neural paths in our brains.  I was born with a  club foot (current  orthopeadic surgery was my 5th),  have been diagnosed with arthritis at an early age and with osteoporosis at 45 but I dont curse them,  I accept them and move on through life the best I can.  They, no doubt, limit my life but when they do I keep finding what I can do rather than thinking of what I can't.  It really is about acceptance and I find it to be a great strategy for positive and relatively happy life with what is,  a life in the present.  Please do not feel offended by this post,   I know that it is not always easy to accept losses and limitations but I also know that when we do life has much brighter colours.

• Posted

I do understand where you're coming from Mish. I've been a carer all my life. My Mum was disabled before she died in 2002, just two days before our Jen's 1st Birthday. Our Jen has Down Syndrome, Autismn, ADHD, Sensory processing Disorder, IBS, Hypotonia, Asthma, and severe learning disability. My son who is now age 29 has ADHD and mental health needs. I have osteo arthritis, osteoporosis, lifelong psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, an under active thyroid, scoliosis,Trigeminal Neuralgia and migrane from childhood. I only mention all this because we have all managed our difficulties and to be honest I have also been a carer all of my life and an advocate for disabled children and young people in our City, who sometimes get a rough deal from services. So what I'm trying to say is that I accept any impairements that I have and those that my family members may have but just sometimes I get frustrated when I just 'CAN'T DO' when all my life I have had the attitude of 'CAN DO' and when our environment or attitudes have tried to disable us I have always done my best to enable us to the best of my ability. 

But right now I have lost some independance and the ability to get up and go.......  I've always been on my own with my children and we have all had our challenges to say the least, but these past few years have given way to some extra challenges such as my youngest daughter's school not understanding or meeting her needs to the extent that she was self harming in school owing to her frustrations and lack of understanding and no ammount of my intervention or attempts to help the school to understand her better seemed to help so, I home schooled my daughter for nearly 12 months with no support from Services or anyone. I love my daughter dearly but this was very challenging for me because after an accident in 2009, my right arm is disabled from the neck downwards after 4 fractures to the colloar bone and humerous and I am right hand dominent.   I take everything on the chin believe me and anyone who knows me will say that I 'cope' and I am usually un-rufled by challenges but I'm guessing that this recent 'op' has left me quite drained and not my usual self. Even trying to meet my daughter's personal care needs ( double incontinent) and several showers daily etc.,  has proved difficult while balancing on one leg...........

So when I said that I cursed my impairments........ it was more of a tongue in cheek, comment for the way I've been feeling lately....... not a long term reflection on my lot in life......

I'm a happy bunny and I love my kids and life.... just expressing this 61 year old's frustrations right this minute.

No offence taken smile

It's only 4 weeks tomorrow since my 'OP'

• Posted

Dear Bohemia

you are clearly an amazing, strong and courageous woman and my attempt at giving you my strategies was clearly unnecessary

I think it is the other way around

I can learn from you

A LOT

With best wishes

and gratitude for the kindness of your response

• Posted

Hi Mish, lol I'm a product of my genes and environment and coming from Liverpool UK, a tough, industrial City with the usual economic and social challenges I guess I just do what I feel is right.  I'm no hero or wanting credit I feel for those who can't thrive in our society and our disabled children, young people and adults (as well as our senior citizens) get dealt bum cards most of the time and because the powers that be don't value the contribution of this community, past , present and future, they feel that they are worthless. That might sound harsh but I've witnessed this for 60 plus years now and sometimes the only way is to shout out and ruffle feathers and rock the boat just so those who are not able to, get some support and justice.

I value these forums and the members because they all have empathy. A quality that you sometimes don't see amongst many people in the wider society.

I'm all for 'relative' inclusion (another word, that is used too widely) but there is comfort in being in a group of like minded people sometimes, who understand your situation!

I'm so happy that we've all been able to support each other on this forum and I know that you all understand the process of our similar surgery and recovery.

We've all got our challenges in life and I guess that we all have strategies that help us a long the way but it's always useful to listen to other poeple's stories, suggestions and comments because we can all learn so much from each other.

I had to do a complete change of bedding for my daughter ealier owing to a little accident in bed. I pulled the bed out to put the under-sheet down the other side of her bed but.....I FORGOT THAT MY RIGHT FOOT WAS THERE AND I PULLED THE BASE OF THE BED RIGHT OVER IT !!!!!  OUCH cry  And yeh.... I did curse then too...lol... NI NIGHT EVERYONE wink

• Posted

Hope you get some sleep tonigh

ni night smile

• Posted

OMG! I still have swelling and severe stiffness. No matter how hard I try to walk normally, I tend to walk on the side of my foot. it feels like I'm walking on a bubble when I put weight on my entire foot. My toe is super sensitive to the point I hate socks or sheets rubbing it the wrong way! the healing process has been slow and I'm starting to regret it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.