Makeup or Coverup for HSP?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I understand that the rash itself is not medically the most serious part, but it really hurts my morale and gets me down in the dumps to have to see it every day and also to have to cover it up with clothing, in hot weather. I actually think it makes it worse.

Anyways, when I asked for cream from my dermatologist, he said there is no topical solution because the damage is all happening below the skin. Which got me thinking - shouldn't it be possible to use cover up, such as tattoo cover up, to help conceal? I feel like it shouldn't do harm, at least. Just wondering if anyone has had success with this, or if it is just wishful thinking.

I am 29 years old and recently diagnosed, so apologies if this is a silly question. I am miserable and desperate! Lol.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth,

My daughter has HSP and she is 15. I agree that covering up can make it worse but we found cotton was fine. The most important thing from my perspective is that you are being treated in a centre that knows this condition. As it is relatively rare (although goodness knows I keep meeting people who have had it) that generally means large teaching hospitals in a major town and if I didn't happen to live in London I would certainly be travelling to one. Then you get advice based on real experience.

Obviously I am not the one who has had the condition but I have been at her side and seen the effect on her. Know there will be a light at the end of the tunnel although I bet you cannot see that at all at the moment. 

I must say I would be careful about getting any tattoes and get some good medical advice about that. 

The only treatment our daughter has is iron tablets as her ferritin (blood stores ) levels were very low and also a teaspoon of fish oil each day. They will have looked at your iron levels so just ask them. But everyone is slightly different and it depends on your severity of HSP.

I really hope this is helpful,

Lizzie

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie, I am very lucky to live near Johns Hopkins in the US and my regular dermatologist (who teaches there) took one look at the rash, before it had even spread up my legs, and said HSP without hesitstion. I can't imagine how frustrating this would be for someone who lives in a small rural area and takes months just to get a correct diagnosis.

I will definitely not be getting any tattoos, I just noticed that a lot of makeup artists offer tattoo cover up as a service so it got that thought in my head that perhaps makeup would work. (I'm getting married soon too, so the stress of all this is really compounded). I've read elsewhere to try fish oil so I will give that a shot, as well as iron. Thank you for you post, best wishes to you and your daughter.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth44267

My daughter is 15 and has ha's HSP since Sept 15. She is at a London Children's hospital. She has HSP, nephritis syndrome and CKD and is waiting dialysis. We were always told from day 1 there was no light at the end of the tunnel and the prediction was true. It didn't help that her consultant brole his leg last year and no treatment for 10 months were given. Unfortunately we have been back in said hospital 3 weeks and still he pb is not playing ball. The trial and error medicines she is having make her vomit. Each HSP case is different. My daughter suddenly beca me alergic to yeast, yeast extract and MSG. Her flair ups come often especially if she wares tights for school. BCH are very knowledgeable about HSP and we have 3 months and a couple of weeks till we can be transferred there as they have done the most research and have the most experience in helping my daughter through to transplant. HSP does fade in time, luckily my daughter is not into skirts and dresses. My daughter is on so many med. The creatinine is one of the markers in you blood test that you should always check as this tells you how bad the kidneys are getting. Iron, vit D and no salt is also useful. Hoping your HSP doesn't bring you further on this awful journey we are on.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope your daughter begins to heal soon. Thank you for your post, I will keep you guys in my thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.