Making progress - 90 day update - stay positive!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 44. I play tennis 4 days a week for 2hrs a match. I take allopurinol 300mg day for gout. Stays stable. Dec 15, 2016 my shoulder was killing me. Went to Ortho and received corti shot. 2 days later my left ankle swelled to where I was unable to walk. 5 more days and my right elbow did same. 

1 month earlier I had burning with urination and discharge, then weak stream.  Saw primary, tested negative for STD but bacteria present. Took antibiotic and cleared up. 

So about 2 weeks after getting better the issues mentioned above started on 12/15. 

I took steroid for 3 weeks to battle swelling. Then NSAIDs since. 

Could barely walk for couple weeks. Joints hurt everywhere. Esp neck, hips & knee. 

Swelling in ankle and knee finally went down to almost normal March 1st. 

Now playing tennis again about at 85%. 

Tendons behind knee hurt, left ankle and elbow hurt after playing. But manageable. 

Along the way I tested negative for everything, b27, infectious disease etc. 

Only elevated reading is sed rate that measures inflammation. 

I test again at end of this month to see if has gone down. Hoping to get off NSAIDs soon. 

I was very uncertain along the way, searching for answers, seeing doctors, and shed many tears. I had qualified for a USTA playoff tournament that I had to miss. Couldn't walk. Had fluid drawn (no bacteria or crystals for gout). I hurt more than ever did in my life. 

So in the end, reactive arthritis is where we've landed. Which, every case is different. 

Eating foods that promote low inflammation, exercise best you can without hurting joints. Drink lots of water. 

I'm playing a singles match tonight for our club, after 90 days. 

So there is hope for each and every one of you!!

i'd be happy to answer any questions. Take care. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Rocky, I did have an infection 2 weeks prior. I advised the allopurinol because swelling was not gout. My uric acid levels stayed normal. No crystals in fluid.

Reactive Arthritis is diagnosis. thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.