Malabsorption?

Posted , 6 users are following.

A year or so ago, I suddenly fell ill with unbearable abdominal pain. Since, I have been to many doctors and have had most common ailments ruled out. For a year now, I've had dirreaha along with the pain. And it's a horrible kind. It... it has a sticky texture, and sticks to me. I have to shower after going to the bathroom, it's to that point. I have no clue as to why it has done this. I've done dietary changes and am on a healthy diet that should not be producing this. Besides this, the stool has undigested foods mixed in. Since changing my diet to simpler foods such as veggies, rice, and grains. I can literally see them in my stool. Rice no longer digests, and I have to deal with the sludge and whole particles that come out.

I'm not sure what to do. The doctors have been of no help and have shrugged there shoulders saying ibs.

I'm very frustrated, I've dropped so much weight and I have to constantly eat to keep my current weight.

Do any of you have any ideas? I've also tried most medicines... Imodium, pepto bismal, anti spasm medications, and anti depressants could not stop the dirreaha. I've had it every day for a year... with no normal bowel movements...

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Try using rehydration solution.

It does look like malabsorption and digestive issues, or it could be bile-acid diarrhea with something like crohns.

https://patient.info/health/bile-acid-malabsorptiondiarrhoea-leaflet

• Posted

Had both. smile I had some upper GI bleeding, but that's all.

• Posted

There are very few GI in my state. And those I've gone to, once they ruled out crohns, they told me to suck it up. I have tried most pain management options, and none have helped, and nothing has stopped the dirreaha. My family doctor is trying to send me out of state. I'm currently unable to work and or keep up in school, so this isn't a slight problem.

• Posted

Ok, so they dont know whats causing it. What State are you at?
  • Posted

Ask your doctor to refer you for a SEHCAT scan to see if you have Bile acid Malabsorption.
  • Posted

yes, SEHCAT.

Celiac is also tested, right?

Parasite concentration test done, too? (not only one sample, but 3 samples collected spread over 10 days in storage medium)

Also maybe play 'baby' food,

meaning mash it, blend it to help absorbtion/digestion. Chewing might not be enough. Get those amino acid shakes to help your protein supply.

Experiment with digestive enzymes.

For me it is normal that I see rice or corn or other bits in stool. Always has been.

The lesser I chew, the more I can see, if I can be bothered to look.

You  might want to experiment with different pre and pro biotics as well?

It's frustrating if you get doc's shoulder shrugging. 

• Posted

I have tried multiple probiotics, but I suppose I can try more. 😂

Celiacs is ruled out.

No, I have not been checked for parasites.

• Posted

You could also ask your doctor for EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficicency) check. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.