Malaria

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had my spleen removed at the age of 16 due to a sports injury and was told by my GP that I should never vist a malaria area as it would be fatal should I contract malaria I have been for my immune booster injections on a regular basis and injury happened 17 years ago. What I need to know is there any way that I can visit a malaria area now as surely with technology there is some kind of drug to prevent malaria now. I need to know this as my sister lives in a malaria area and would really like to visit her but I am really scared. Does anyone have advice on this issue. Thanks Ryan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Malaria still kills nearly half a million people a year - there has been some reduction due to new drugs and you can get anti malaria tablets in advance of travel but it still seems like quite a risk to travel thereĀ 
  • Posted

Hi Ryan.

I had my spleen removed just under a year ago & i was also told to avoid malarial areas, so,unfortunately, the advice you were given then is still relevant. 

There are anti-malarial drugs available but i think if the docs are still saying to avoid these countries, it would be wise to do so.

• Posted

Ryan75256

Hi, I had a spleenectomy in 1992. I too was once told I shouldn't visit a Malarious area. I have however, been to Mozambique, Indonesia, India, Middle East, Thailand and many other countries. I have not contracted Malaria. I have used Doxycycline 100mg profalaticly and followed it up with Primaquine. Along with DEET based repellent and long sleeve shirts. Avoid being out at dawn and dusk.

I think you should speak with your GP and I think you can safely mitigate the chances of getting Malaria.

YOLO my friend !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.