Male Breast Issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am a 27 year old male and for the past few years I have had some breast issues.

In 2010 when I was 18 I found a large lump under my right nipple. My GP sent me to the breast clinic and I had a biopsy done which showed I had a touch of Gynaecomastia. I did not have man boobs or anything it must have been just a slight thickening of the breast tissue.

Anyway all was fine and I was not bothered by it again until late 2016 I started to develop pain under my left armpit and then in early 2017 slight pain in my left breast area accompanied by what felt to me like extra tissue under the nipple and a moveable lump.

I went to my GP who referred me again to the hospital. The hospital did not really seem interested it was a quick run of the fingers up and down the chest not actually examining the nipple area and off you go.

Then around September 2017 I developed the same symptoms of extra tissue under the nipple and a moveable lump in my right breast. I again returned to my GP who was not bothered in the slightest and said because the lumps were mobile they were unlikely to be serious and off I go.

Would this just be Gynaecomastia? I have tried not to worry about it but it has never gone away and I have read that it should go away on its own after a couple of years. I can be a bit of a worrier and have convinced myself I have cancer a few times but then I try to think logically that if I had untreated breast cancer for 3 years I would probably be dead or very unwell by now. It does not really bother me although it can be a bit painful from time to time nothing severe just a tinge.

I think about going back to the GP and then about just leaving it quite a lot. Feel like I dont want to bother GP as have been a few times and they are not concerned.

Any other guys had this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The armpit pain is no longer an issue

• Posted

I have had something very similar.

Mine started with armpit pain, then moved to my nipple. Sometimes my armpit would hurt. Sometimes my nipple would hurt. Sometimes both.

My doctor referred me to a breast surgeon. She performed scans and found a small nodule behind my nipple. It was small and I wasn't every able to feel it myself.

She performed a biopsy and it was benign. She didn't know why it would cause pain (or even if it was the cause of the pain), but said it was nothing to worry about since the biopsy was negative.

Thefore, I don't think you should worry about cancer since it has been ruled out. That said, I know how frustrating it is to have something that no one can identify and they simply tell you not to worry about it.

I still have pain sometimes, but I try to put it out of my head. It seems to come and go with stress, but it's not mental - there is a very physical pain in my armpit and in my nipple.

• Posted

any updates? im a 22 year old male and also found a big lump. scheduled to see a dermatologist next month but very worried

• Posted

Have you had a breast ultrasound? Or a mammogram? These imaging techniques can show what's going on eg cancer; growth in gland tissue; fat deposits etc.

• Posted

Hi

Thought I would post an update.

I returned to my GP a few weeks ago as I was fed up of no answers to this and wanted it dealt with. Also the breast tissue and armpit has been a bit more painful recently , nothing severe just that uncomfortable feeling.

I saw a Dr who I have never seen before who agreed to refer me back to the hospital and I await this appointment.

I also had bloods taken to check my hormone levels as if your hormone levels are not quite right this can cause tissue growth like gynaecomastia.

Today I got a call from my GP to say I have a raised prolactin level. They also want me to have a telephone appointment with one of the doctors to discuss something im assuming in regards to the blood I had taken.

I notice a high prolactin level can cause breast issues in men and can come from a pituitary gland tumour in some cases.

I will post again once have spoken to GP on Friday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.