Male - Cystoscopy 4 hours ago

Posted , 1 user is following.

So,

After several days of anxiety the day finally came. Stress levels were elevated at the mere thought of what was gonna happen, but have come through to the other side...

The procedure was more uncomfortable than painful.... initially.

The gel did it's job and the pipe went in... The worst part was when the bladder was filled with water.... bang goes your dignity ! You have a natural urge to pee, but know that you cannot - fight the pain as in a few minutes it'll be over.

The doc then decided to show me my insides by hooking up the camera to some monitors... At this stage I needed the thing out of me... and then in 2 minutes it was over and I was asked to release into a bowl

Will post how my recovery is coming on

I could not do this based on the 5 people watching, they left and I went....

After that I was taken back to my room and once comfortable would be discharged

... and then the anaesthetic started to wear off>

Peeing now is incredibly painful, worst pain I have ever experienced... Apparently this will go down - right now I am frightened to even go.

That said, it's only been 4 hours, the damn thing is over, i'm hoping 24 hours of pain and I can get on with life.

At the end of the day - these things need to be done, bite the bullet as tomorrow is another day.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can relate to Ouchh's comments. I had a similar painful experience. The stinging on urination afterwards is very painful. The best thing I found was to drink water and grin and bear the pain. It got better after a day, but took 3 days to go away totally. In my case I also had blood in my urine for days also, but was told this was normal.

I cant believe you were asked to urinate in front of 5 medical staff (probably mostly female). In my experience, however, the medical profession treats patients with little dignity or respect - at least in the NHS.

Take courage - you will feel better in a few days - but I still wouldnt volunteer for the procedure again!

• Posted

Well all, it's been 26 hours since the \"procedure\".... the burning has gone down by about 50%. My fear of the bathroom still remains well ingrained in my head... I can concur with the above comment that the only way through this is to drink plenty of water and just yes grin and bear it...

Still feeling very sore and walking around like John Wayne... Experiencing some back pains but expecting that is based on the way that I slept last night. Had to take the day off work as I had underestimated how much this would knock me out.

Yes rather disturbing the way I was treated and actually I did this as a private patient so I think the whole dignity thing is widespread across the sectors.

Tell you what up until this point have been leading a farely reckless party lifestyle and I think this is the wake up call to change my ways... If nothing else this thing has made reevaluate things as I never ever want to have such a \"procedure\" again

I'm hoping by this time tomorrow I will be able to pee without the fear - but right now I don't think this will be the case.

My thoughts are with those that are going to have this done - but I will reiterate that yes while it will be terrible, you'll make it through to the other side... I'll repost tomorrow on my progress

• Posted

glad to hear things are getting a bit better. In my experience it will take 3 days to get back to normal. what was your procedure for? mine was kidney stone related.

all the best

• Posted

Mine was for haematuria or microscopic blood in the urine... after lots of testing, the answer is they do not know the cause... The level has now decreased so guess it's business as usual for now

As a bit of a worrier - i'll probably get blood/ urine tests done again in 6 months or so.

When did you have your procedure ? Are you back to normal now ?

• Posted

Have to say - pretty much back to normal .... so 4 days is what it tool me to get over the ordeal

Good luck all and keep :lol:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.